Advice for a new(ish) Mac user?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ultra7k, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

Newish Apple user here, hi everyone.

So I ordered a 13" MBP late 2012 (non retina), and I've played with the last two days. For all intents and purposes I really like it, but at the same time it has got me thinking about my computer needs.

I still have my PC, and though the buyer wants to buy it today, and I am sort of having second thoughts about selling it. Maybe I'm being sentimental? I did put a lot of money and time into it. Main reason I built it was to game, and I don't do a whole lot of that anymore. I play the odd game of League of Legends here and there, but a couple games of that is good enough to tie me over for a few days.

The lack of a Mac client isn't doing me any favours though, so I guess I could boot camp.

I recently sold my iPad 2, and not having the iPad has (and I'm not going to lie) left a sort of a hole in my life. I thought I didn't use it much, but it turns out I do miss it.

I do enjoy the MBP and the OS, and I do love the portability of having a laptop again, but at the same time I feel somewhere deep down inside that I will miss the raw power of my PC/desktop.

I suppose there are a few options.

1. Cheapest Option - Keep my PC, return the MBP and live tablet free, or pick up another iPad (likely a mini, or maybe a 4).
    2. Next Cheapest option - sell my PC, and keep the MBP.
    3. Ditch the previous options, buy a Mac Mini (keeping the PC) or sell the PC and buy an iMac?

I think my biggest sticking point is using integrated graphics. I know that's not something that I can get away with vs form factor, but I don't want a 15" laptop either .

Any opinions?

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

For somebody like you, I truly believe this is the worst time to think about abandoning the Windows platform. Given all the new PC hardware (laptops, ultra-books, hybrids) coming out to accommodate Win8. Some are quite impressive.

Macs will always be there if you decide otherwise.

3. ultra7k thread starter macrumors 6502

ultra7k

This is true, but I am thinking of cutting ties with PC at some point...

Anyone else cut PC/Win ties recently and jump ship to Mac? Care to share? haha.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

if the GPU is the main issue and you don't want a 15" then the only thing left is an iMac. :)

The HD4000 isn't that bad on a 13" MBP either. It's all moot because even PC makers are going with integrated graphics so eventually, regardless of platform that's what you'll get in a laptop.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Me

I had a Windows 7 laptop, a Windows 7 desktop and an Android tablet as personal devices. I jumped to a 15" MBP in July, but I kept my desktop for gaming (and now as an HTPC), and my tablet. I had to install a Windows VM so I could run one app that has no Mac equivalent, but I am overall pleased with the change, though I do still have the desktop as I noted before.

If you're looking for someone to convince you that sticking with the Mac is the right move, only you can make that decision for you, you'll get some fairly biased opinions here. If you've found the Mac to work well for you, why not keep it? If it doesn't meet your needs, you have your decision.

6. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I've been through dos 5 to 6.1 and win 3x to 7 at home
    I worked w os 7 9 and they were pos.
    I worked in a school as IT supporting them during win95 win98 days.

I find w7 stable for an it guy who knows what not to install etc.

I had g4 tower n mini n felt they were slow (yes they were 3 years old or so) but few years back I bit the bullet n got mini running snow. I upgraded to SSD and was happy w everything but being a networking guy I lined for more ram.

Now I have early 2008 Mac pro for last two plus years. No goi g back.

I have my i7 based pc for gaming but Mac platform is so much more stable n quicker.

I support both environments but Mac requires less maintenance. (defrag, av, spyware).

Good luck

7. Snarl macrumors member

Just went/going through the same thing myself, have a real nice Gaming PC upgraded to Windows 8 and a new 15" cMBR. In my case I'm selling the Gaming PC as I don't game enough anymore and what I do play (Diablo III, LOTRO) is available for the MBP. Windows 8 helped my decision somewhat :) as I think Microsoft missed the point on that OS and Apples OS-X seems to do a better job. I also have an iPad I use a lot so the whole Apple system is appealing, maybe some iPhones on the way for me next year :)

Good luck, it's a tough call either way.

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

sell PC, buy refurb macbook pro, also buy console for gaming, bootcamp and external display if you really want to game on your mac. If you are fine with not having a laptop the same applies except the refurb should be an imac instead. Forget about the mini, its not that much cheaper and the display is excellent on the iMac, for the cost of a nice display and a keyboard and a mouse you may as well have just got the imac. If you want to use your own keyboard and mouse just sell the other ones they do sell for a descent amount

9. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

Last summer I jumped from a under used gaming desktop (I don't game) to a Sony Vaio Z plus Power Media Dock (came with the Z). That 2.5 pound laptop had more than enough power for my photo/video editing needs and the dock let me run two external monitors. Once I got comfortable with the Z I used my desktop CPU less and less. I finally sold it to a very happy ebay buyer.

This summer I jumped from the Z to the 15" rMBP. I liked Windows 7 and I'm fine with Mountain Lion. At this point I found the OSs to be similar enough in features that it's neutral for me. My reason for switching was to get the Retina display MBP. I thought a 15" laptop would be too large but that hasn't been the case at all. The rMBP still fits into my backpack (barely) and at 4.46 pound, is very light for it's size.

So I kept the rMBP and made another ebay buyer very happy.

10. ultra7k thread starter macrumors 6502

ultra7k

so I went ahead and sold the PC today.

Going to keep the MBP...question though, are there any recommendations for an external soundcard for MBPs? Or is there even any real benefit to adding one? Will be using z2300s from logitech and the odd headphones for when silence is required throughout the house.

edit: mainly for listening to music and watching movies.

Thanks.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd try using the built in sound card before you go out and buy something. You may be surprised.