Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I have a ********* of family photos (real photographs, LOL) that I need to scan. They are all different sizes.

It would be GREAT if there is a modern scanner that I can just load photos into and it sizes and crops automatically but I don't know if such a beast exists.

I want to get a scanner (or service) for less than $300. Am I dreaming? Any advice?

(Please don't suggest 60 Fivver gigs! :p)

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
For a service check out ScanCafe. Their prices are high but if you sign up for their emails they offer periodic specials at 20 to40% off.

For a lot of snapshots I had I used my Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500. Set it to photo mode, scanned the pix in. Printed one on my ink jet at the same size and you could just barely tell which was which. Fine for when you don't need high quality. I already had the ScanSnap for handling all my pPerwork so it was a sunk cost.

A flatbed scanner can do a good job but if you have any quantity you will start to hate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.