Advice for a very recent MacBook buyer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suburbiaboy, Nov 2, 2007.

1. suburbiaboy macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I just bought a MacBook 2.16GB with an upgrade to 120GB HD two weeks ago which is scheduled to arrive in a day or two, I was unaware of the update rumor at the time. To be honest the update is fairly minor so it doesn't bother me too much, however the minimum spec HD has also changed to 120GB.

To put it simply I now will have the older model MacBook for about £50 ($100) more than I could get the newer one. Apple told me they have the right to change the specs so it's tough.

I also got free iPod Nano which is great but it's not quite so free when I have to pay £50 extra. I read that if I return the MacBook I'll have to pay a re-stocking fee and I guess I'll loose the free Nano.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You could always call and ask if you can get it upgraded to the new model, as you haven't even received your MacBook yet.

3. suburbiaboy thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said I called they said they have the right to change specs.

The MacBook has already shipped, so the order can't amended.

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Just don't open the box. You can return it or exchange it for no stocking fee if the box is unopened. Unless it's a customized item, which is what I don't get this. The last gen macbook already came with 120gb for hard drive. They didn't change the hard drive and ram spec in this update. Did you mean you upgraded to 160gb? Btw, if it turns out that you didn't customize your machine, then they'll let you return it unopened.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you can't exchange, sell the Nano to recoup some of the extra cost.

6. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

ps santa rosa/x3100 is a pretty big deal, your current black book will be worth much less than the updated ones when you go to resell it.

7. suburbiaboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks teflon good info. Oops you're right about the HD, I was gonna get the low end one at first so I got confused about the spec.

I configured it to 2GB of RAM so I guess I can't swap it but since the HD is correct I'm not £50 down I just have the older model which as I said I can live with.

Thanks all.

8. suburbiaboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed but there's nothing I can do as I spec'd it to 2GB RAM right?

Hard to see how that's a custom config as I'm sure they sell thousands with 2GB and 120GB since it's one of only two things that can be changed but thats that really.

9. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Well if you want to go through the trouble, you could ebay both your nano and macbook. Knowing ebay, you'll get back enough for a new macbook. But honestly, I don't think the update is that big of a deal. Under normal uses, you wouldn't need more than 3gb of ram or notice the difference of 0.04ghz increase in CPU speed and most apps don't actually use the GPU. So unless you're planning to do tons of multi-tasking with ram hungry apps and/or use 3D apps like Motion you'll be fine. Games would be better on the newer macbooks though. But the old macbooks can run FCP, so really they're quite capable laptops. Plus you get the laptop for your own uses and enjoyment, who cares about resell values 3+ years down the road.