Advice for a video series

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ~J~, Oct 29, 2007.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I am doing some post production for a lecture series and wanted to see what some more experienced editors think about this.

I have 13 hours of seminar to edit - so its going to end up being like a 5 disc (DL) set. The format is 45 minute session followed by a 15 minute Q&A. I have 2 cameras that are both ~20deg off-center and in the back of the auditorium. For something like a lecture, how often would you recommend changing that camera views? Should I make them quick changes (no transitions), or use transitions? I also have all of the slides that the presenter used, and am putting them into the video as well. It makes it easiest to see & read the slides if they are full screen, but should I use transitions or not to go to the slides and back to the video? Thanks for your help & advice! I am open to any & all suggestions that you all might have... so feel free to let me know what you think!

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Who is your audience? What are the two cameras shooting? These answers will help. For the transitions to the slides, a quick 15-30 frame dissolve should help ease the cut.

3. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Audience is a nice mix of scientists and theologists. Tough crowd, I know!

Should I do transitions for all the slides? In a single 45 minute lecture session, I have ~40-80 slides to add in... depending on which session it is.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I know it's a pain to add all those transitions and then wait for it all to render, but it will definitely help create a much smoother, easier to look at movie. Your audience won't know to appreciate it, but they'll hate jarring cuts 40-80 times in an hour. Hope that helps...

5. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

It does, greatly. Thanks Tilpots!

Also, how often should I switch between the 2 cameras? For an action movie, you will have LOTS of very fast switches... but its totally different for a lecture series. What do you think?

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

That's what I was getting at earlier. What is each camera shooting? Are they both set on the same shot from a different angle, or is one wide and one tighter? If they are set on the same shot, different angle, it will be confusing and pretty pointless to cut from one angle to the other, like watching part of it with your left eye open, then part with your right eye open. If the cameras are tight and wide, you can bounce back and forth between the two when the timing is relevant. Tight for hand gestures and the like or wide for audience participation and movement of the speaker. Let us know what your two angles are shooting...

7. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, ok. No, they are pretty much the same shot from different angles. I wasnt consulted on the videography. Right now, I am just switching back and forth to dodge irritating people who walked in front of the camera(s)... and using slides when I can to avoid a floating head here and there. I was just curious if I should be switching a lot, or rather infrequently. My alpha edit only switches ~5 times in 44 min.