advice for adding RAM to G5 powermac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by turtlebud, May 17, 2007.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

I've got 2.5GB RAM on my G5 powermac right now and am considering upping that to 6.5GB of RAM. I thought that 2.5GB would be plenty, but multimedia and photo processing programs like Aperture seem to like more RAM if available. I was originally consider getting 2x2GB matched pairs which is $249 at OWC, but when I see the prices for the 2x1GB sticks ($99), I'm considering getting 4x1GB (2 sets of matched pairs) since I have 4 slots available. The downside would be of course that I'd have to start taking out RAM if I ever wanted to add more RAM.

Any feeling one way or the other? Should I:
    a) get 4x1GB for $200 and have no slots left
    b) get 2x2GB for $250 and have 2 slots left

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Do the 2x2 if you think you'll be needing those other slots in the future. I have 3.5 gigs in my dual core and I'm about to add more myself. FCP chomps RAM too.

3. turtlebud thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm, i guess that's the more relevant question - whether I will need more RAM in the future. I'm anticipating keeping this computer for another 2 years or so - the question is whether 6.5GB RAM will be enough to hold me over that long.

So maybe what I really want to ask is whether 6.5GB of RAM will be enough to run Aperture & some the basic video editing tools for the next 2 years.

4. Angrist macrumors 6502

2x2

Not only are you leaving yourself room to upgrade in the future, but the higher density sticks will retain their re-sale value longer.