Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodmorning

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Minneapolis
I have had my Canon XTI for about a year now, and I love everything about it except for two things:
1) No Spot Metering
2) Tiny viewfinder
I have recently been shooting film on a Canon Rebel with a larger view finder, and I'm finding it tough to go back to the XTI, its darn near impossible to focus manually, so I am starting to think about an upgrade and it looks like the older 30D might solve both of these problems. The reduction in megapixels from 10.1 to 8.2 is not a big deal for me. Of course I would rather have a 40d/50d/5dmkII or whatever, but I'm a grad student right now on a very strict budget. Would a 30d as an XTI replacement be a huge mistake?

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
What is your budget?
What are you looking for to gain with new camera other than viewfinder?
And what is your shooting style (sports, portraits, family shots)?

goodmorning

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Minneapolis
I'm figuring I can sell the XTI for about 400, the 30D body runs under 600 refurbed. So really, bare bones, I don't think I can go any higher than that, and I have invested too much in Canon glass to change brands. It really comes down to viewfinder, I can easily focus manually on a film camera with a normal view finder, I have a lot of problems when switching to the smaller viewfinder of the XTI. I'm really leaning towards the 30D, just wondering if there is anything else I'll be missing in the XTI besides the extra megapixels.

You can see my style on my blog link in my signature, mostly urban/atmospheric/landscape stuff.

whichweather

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
- i own an xti too and i want something better but..

hey - why dont u get the 40d?
http://www.diduprice.com/stores.asp?productid=1901B004
-400 bucks for the 40d which has about 5.5 fps, has a 1.2 crop factor instead of the 1.6

also, the shutter releasing and returning feels much better!!:D

i would love to get a better body as well but i just dont have the dough right now - i just bough the canon L 70-200 f4 lens which is superb!!!

my advice to u is to either get the 40d, or (and the better thing) is to buy some really good glass as this makes the picture

:);)

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
hey - why dont u get the 40d?
http://www.diduprice.com/stores.asp?productid=1901B004
-400 bucks for the 40d which has about 5.5 fps, has a 1.2 crop factor instead of the 1.6

also, the shutter releasing and returning feels much better!!:D

i would love to get a better body as well but i just dont have the dough right now - i just bough the canon L 70-200 f4 lens which is superb!!!

my advice to u is to either get the 40d, or (and the better thing) is to buy some really good glass as this makes the picture

:);)
wut?

The 40D still has a 1.6FOV crop.

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
the reason I've asked for your budget was mainly because I wanted to suggest 40D rather than 30D. you can buy lightly used 40D for $750 even for $700.
with 40D you will get much better AF than 30D and XTi. better dust sealing, and the DIGIC III image processor that allows 14-bit analog to digital conversion for better color rendition. also in 40D you can change focusing screens. one of them helps in manual focus: click here and also you get LiveView which for sure would help with landscape shots.
so if you are tight on budget just wait couple weeks and get a little bit more $ for 40D rather than 30D...

just my opinion...

I know that I didn't answer your question about XTi but it seems that you already made decision and you just need a little push in correct direction :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.