Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
I am looking to build an app and would love some advice and general pointers in the right direction.
I don't have much experience coding and generally do the designs and UI's but I would like to make this project mine from scratch, all the way;)

So I want to build an app where users can create their own databases and use these databases to cross reference certain values/items/prices
Let's say you bought an apple at a store, you would create
The store name
The item
The price
Perhaps quantity etc

The goal is that over time you can search your "database" for a specific item, see where it is the cheapest, what store generally carries the cheapest etc.

Essentially something you would create an excel spreadsheet for but done in an app.

How would I generally go about something like this?

Thank you for any input!
Cheers
Rob

Punkjumper

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
If all the data is stored locally on the device and not on a server, I would use core data to store everything. If your brand new it's got a bit of a learning curve but would do exactly what you need.

AppSwage

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2015
I agree with Core Data which an object data model. However, it is not new developer friendly. There is much you really need to learn and understand before you should take on Core Data. I am also going to guess you don't have much experience with object oriented which you really need to come up to speed on as well.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I suggest that you work through an entire book on iOS programming. It should include Core Data.

Finish the whole book. Do every exercise. Write and debug every example or demo app in the entire book.

By the time you finish, you should be able to go back and do any exercise effortlessly. You might even want to go back and do some of them over with an improved design. In the real world you'll redesign things a lot, because you don't know what you don't know when you started.

I used to tell programming students that they should write 10 real working programs before even starting the program they want to write. Beginners often underestimate the time, effort, and skill needed to complete a program they have in mind. They can be off by a factor of 10 or more. When I told them this in the beginning, I was hardly ever believed.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I am looking to build an app and would love some advice and general pointers in the right direction.
I don't have much experience coding and generally do the designs and UI's but I would like to make this project mine from scratch, all the way;)

So I want to build an app where users can create their own databases and use these databases to cross reference certain values/items/prices
Let's say you bought an apple at a store, you would create
The store name
The item
The price
Perhaps quantity etc

The goal is that over time you can search your "database" for a specific item, see where it is the cheapest, what store generally carries the cheapest etc.

Essentially something you would create an excel spreadsheet for but done in an app.

How would I generally go about something like this?

Thank you for any input!
Cheers
Rob
I'd recommend the bitfountain course

Robfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
Thanks for the quick replies! And yes not much experience at all, as i am starting on my first excise files. I understand the gravity of the learning curve and i am more than willing to put the time and effort in!
i will research further and start wrapping my mind around core data. Thanks for the advice!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.