Advice for Applying film protectors.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by golf1410, Jul 3, 2012.

1. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Read instruction.
    Caution!!
    Apply the film in dust free environment.

Well, where the hell is that? There is dust in the air every where except the Intel research center is dust free and out of space maybe.
    Btw, I heard some do it in bathroom when they left hot water running for fog. But do you have another tip?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally,I buy my ghost armor at a mall kiosk and let them do it. I've never ever gotten a skin on a pda, or phone without bubbles or dust.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have tried them all, cheap, expensive etc. Even buddies have tried, on my iPad and my phone. I just can't get them right....Either get bubbles or thy don't adhere properly....I gave them up in favour of a good micro-fibre cloth after use each day. I think you have to get lucky to get them on properly..Still have packs of the damn things around.

4. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Patience, Scotch tape and a soft lint free cloth should always be used when applying film protectors. Mine go on perfectly every time - the secret is using the Scotch tape to remove dust and grease from the device before applying the film. :cool:

5. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

You do that on invisible shield as well?

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

I always apply my filters in a steamed up bathroom. I put something soft on the countertop for a work surface, run the hot shower to get the air steamed up. That will go a long ways toward eliminating dust in the air.

Make sure you have some pieces of rolled up scotch tape you can throw on the film as handles in case you need to make adjustments on the fly.

7. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

How much did you steam up? Your device doesn't get wet?

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Best advice: don't waste your time with needless crap.

Use a little care & common sense, your new Mac will stay as good as new if you simply keep a clean microfiber cloth handy & use it to remove any dust or debris, instead of letting it build up. It's just that easy.

I'm as picky as anyone & all my Macs look great.

9. Tanax macrumors 6502a

I applied my Power Support HD-Antiglare on an iPhone 4S with little to no troubles at all. Bubbles? None. Dust? None. The only thing that was difficult was to apply it so that it aligned perfectly but if I did a mistake it was as simple as just peal it off a bit and try again.

The Power Support HD-Antiglare on an iPad 2 on the other hand was much more difficult and had a few dust-bubbles. I got them out though as it was once again just a simple matter of pealing it off, taking a bit of tape and get the dust out and put the film back on.

There are a bunch of tutorials on youtube about how to apply a protective screen film so I'm sure you'll find a lot of help from those. Generally, read reviews.. get a good quality film and then just try it. If you encounter any troubles, with the good quality stuff you can usually just peal it off and try again.

10. intermedial macrumors newbie

I agree. I only device I've put a screen protector on is my iPhone, as as the above poster said, there are relatively easy because they have the pre-installation film to help you clean dust off the screen. I highly recommend the Power Support films. Then use a debit or credit card to firmly push out and smooth out any air bubbles.

However, I really don't see the need for my macbook or iPad -- these things don't spend time in pockets where there are lose change and keys, and even with a screen protector you're going to need to clean the screen anyways.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My iPhone is important to me. Therefore I reserve one pocket just for it.

Nothing else goes in but the phone. It's easy & it works.

I keep a clean microfiber cloth in my laptop bag, wipe off the phone as needed & I'm done. Simple :)