Advice for backup prior to ssd install

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tokoreawithlove, Apr 1, 2014.

1. tokoreawithlove macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I'm about to open up my mid-2011 imac 27 to install an ssd. I have bought the kit from iFixit, a Samsung 500gb ssd and a 2gb external drive for backing up everything. Also I have an usb stick for osx install.

How would I optimally go about backing up my system and restoring it onto the ssd? Would a time machine backup and a clean mountain lion install allow me to restore everything? Keep in mind I have no intentions of running a fusion setup, rather I'm planning to run separate drives.

Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just make a good Time Machine backup to that external disk and that is all you need.

Then install the new SSD and option key boot from the TM backup.

That will show you the recovery partition from the TM disk and from there you can use Disk Util to erase the SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click restore and the OS and all your apps and data will be restored to the SSD from your TM disk.

No need to reinstall the OS at all.

3. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

I would suggest using SuperDuper to make an image of the current internal drive on the new drive (attached via USB) then swap it in. Everything will be identical except the hardware it's sitting on.

4. tokoreawithlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both, great advice. I'll probably go with the Time Machine solution for no reason other than I like Time Machine:)