Advice for Buying a webcam for mac!!! Very Helpful

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WizardHunt, Oct 28, 2007.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Ok, I searched and searched on this forum and did not find much useful information about buying a webcam for my mac. I really wanted a isight camera but it is nearly impossible to get unless you pay $189.00 for a used one, and $500.00 plus for a new one. So I did some research on my own and even went out to Frys a electronic store to buy a Macally camera (misspelled sorry) for $35 and it was terrible color and did a terrible job in low light.

To make a long story short, I finally found a camera that works wonderful. I wish someone would have told me about this one. It would have saved me a ton of time and research.

The camera brand : Creative Live Cam Optia AF it is $129.00 at Frys.
    It is certified Hi-speed USB 2.0 (Video Class USB - Plug and Play)

No drivers needed. It shows on the box for windows only. However it works wonderful with my mac mini. The colors are super bright even in low light. The camera is Auto Focus too. It fits on my monitor just perfect so it is eye level just like the built in ones.

If you find this information useful, Please reply here and let me know that it was useful. I would like to know how many people I helped.

It is a bit expensive at $129.00 but is worth it as the picture is great. It is 8.0 MP Photo and 2.0 Video . It states that it comes with Video and Voice effects but that part will not work with mac. You don't need it anyway.

I just installed Leopard and now have Photo booth and with this camera, it works super well, and i even tried it with ichat and it works great.

Hope this helps a lot of you out there looking for a camera. :)

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

OR just use your DV camera if you have one. It works great for me.

3. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

True, but with this one, it fits on top of my monitor and if I need to tilt it , then I just tilt the monitor forward or backwards just as if I had a imac, and then it moves great . not like with a tripod or anything clumsy like that. It will also auto activate (turn on ) when you start either ichat or photo booth. With a DV camera you are always having to turn it on or off all the time. That is a pain for me. That is why I went this way.