Advice for Cloning Bootcamp Partition on 2,1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by judino28, Apr 6, 2018.

1. judino28, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018

judino28 macrumors member

I’m considering cloning my Windows 7 Bootcamp partition to its own dedicated SSD to get the max performance possible on my 2,1. What is the easiest way to do this? Is Winclone the way to go?

Ideally, I’d like to simply temporarily remove one of my drives from the drive bays, prepare the new empty SSD via Bootcamp, and completely clone everything so that it is bootable. Do I even need to use Bootcamp to partition the drive since I’m dedicating the entire drive to Windows? Also, having never used Winclone, do I need to make a backup image first and then restore that to the new drive, or is there a way to simply clone everything to the new drive in one go.

Any help/advice is most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Inside OSX WinClone is the way to go.

But on cMP, you can also use Linux to do that for free.

3. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

Agreed. WinClone is the goto app on Mac. Easier to use than any pure Windows tools, which would not work well with hybrid partitions. WinClone support shrinking and expanding partitions during the copy.

4. judino28 thread starter macrumors member

So if I have both drives attached internally, is it just a matter of a direct cloning from old to new with Winclone? Will I need to run Bootcamp Assistant on the new drive first? Will Winclone require me to make an image of the old partition first and then will I need to restore that image to the new drive?

Sorry for so many questions, and that some of these questions are in my original post, I'm just trying to explore how much hassle this will be and if it's worth it.

5. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

No, Bootcamp assistant is not required, and totally unrelated.

Yes, it can make direct clone.

No, but you can make an image first if you want to.

6. thornslack macrumors 6502

The makers of EasyUefi also make WintoUSB and WintoHDD, free cloning tools for windows.