Advice for dual 4K monitors w/ 2017 mb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TopShelf, Dec 7, 2017.

1. TopShelf macrumors member

Hi guys I have searched the forums and I just can't pull the trigger on a pair of monitors.
    Just bought a 2017 MacBook Pro, 16gb ram model.

I would like two monitors, 4k (or 5k but I just don't see enough positive reviews on the LG), that I can plug in and be happy with.

60hz is key and I would like the macbook closed and set aside.

I'm currently running two 28 inch Samsung's at 1080p on my windows pc, and I'd actually take a resolution inbetween 4k and 1080p if thats a better image on two duals.

What would be your choice today, or what you do have right now that's producing no issues?

Thanks

2. mctrials23 macrumors 6502

I have two of the LG 4K ultrafines and they are great monitors. Honestly I don't think I would like 2 x 5K 27" monitors due to the sheer size of them. I find that if the monitors are too large with a lot on screen then my eyes get tired moving around too much to take it all in.

The only thing I would say about the LG 4K monitors is that they are very limited in their use. If you want to connect anything apart from a new macbook you are pretty much screwed. I wish I could hook games consoles etc up to them but its simply not possible.

3. TopShelf thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I believe LG just makes the 21.5 inch for the 4K? Which I assume you have and if so do you find the smaller panel size at all limited? I know 4K is 4K, Im just somewhat stuck in the 27-32 inch range, been there for the last however many years.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

The 5k UltraFines are gorgeous to see in-person, but I agree the reviews/quirks/high price is somewhat offputting (especially the price), especially since LG has some outstanding 4k models for a very reasonable price.

Right now I am really digging the Dell U2718Q. Out-of-the-box display models look spectacular, and the build quality is solid.

The LG 27UD68 is IMO the best cosmetically-looking display on the market (with a picture quality to match the cosmetics). Like many Dell models, the extremely thin bezels are something I find very attractive for dual monitor setups (and, in the case of your 15-inch MacBook Pro, IIRC it can drive up to four of them.)

5. project_2501 macrumors 6502

I have a professional NEC EA24UHD 4k with high colour accuracy and spectraview for hardware calibration.

It's a great monitor. Worked well with my 2015 13" MBP at 4k 60hz over displayport for work related tasks. That macbook pro struggled to drive it to show films/TV at fullscreen 4k (netflix, VLC,YouTube, iPlayer). But the monitor itself is very high quality, and I've never had any problem connecting it to ThinkPad, or even a Raspberry Pi!

I upgraded to the 2017 nTB and yes it's graphics processor is faster but it overheats quickly. Fans at max for YouTube. Screen damage from heat in clamshell mode.

I have reverted back to a 2015 15" mbp with Intel graphics and it's fine again, not super smooth for movies but everything else is fine and smooth enough that I don't notice.

That monitor is 24" which is perfect t for a working desk. Any bigger and it would be more like a TV you watch from a distance. That's a personal taste of course. The key is the 4k gives you real estate for a good workflow.

6. shaunp macrumors 68000

I've had two Dell P2715Q monitors for around 2 years now. Used them on a Mac Pro and a PC and they have worked very well indeed. There was an issue with standby on the Mac Pro with early versions of this monitor, but this has been fixed in newer versions.

They are colour accurate enough for professional photography and the price is good. Sure Eizo, etc are better for colour accuracy and uniformity, but they are a lot more expensive. Mine were around £500 each from Amazon.

7. mctrials23 macrumors 6502

The smaller panel size is perfect for a dual monitor setup in my opinion. If i was just getting a single monitor I would go for a 27 5K but I can't imagine having 2 27" 4K or 5K monitors for detailed work where you are focussing on small areas of the screen and flicking between monitors regularly.

8. TopShelf thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, that really helped. I'm leaning towards Dell or going with a smaller on in the LG 4k.

9. brerlappin macrumors member

I have two HP Envy 27's, that are 4K. No issues. Connected via USB-C and DisplayPort via the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock.

10. sparkie7 macrumors 68010

sparkie7

Wait for the new apple displays purported to be announced with the modular Mac Pro next year