Advice for Firewire 800 External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wnlawther, Jun 1, 2010.

1. wnlawther macrumors newbie

New registered user on the forum, and I have a question about purchasing an external hd and thought this would be the place to post. I am in the need of a drive to use for time machine among other things, as I have a 500GB MacBook Pro, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. It needs to be Firewire 800, USB, 500 GB or more, and portable.

So far I have come up with two posible ideas, and any opinions on the drives I have found would be much appreciated. Links below...
    G-Drive Mobile
    WD Passport Studio

Thank you.

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

My vote on portables is always for WD (Mine is about 3yrs old now and has been all over the world with me and dismantled so many times to use as a quick adaptor to fix clients laptops) - it hasnt been treated with as much respect as it should have been yet is still tippety-top (older 40GB IDE Passport).

OWC has some nice ones tho (pocket sized with USB/FW400 & FW800 in them)

3. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I've had good experience with my Western Digital My Passport Studio. It's 500GB and I purchased back in April 2009 from Newegg for $140. Using it with my 15" 2.2ghz Macbook Pro. I'm looking to replace with a bigger one that's like 1TB or so and I wanted to still have Firewire 800/FW 800

4. Snowbound macrumors regular

I've had good luck with the WD MyBook studio. You never said that you needed portability, so if you don't mind plugging it into the wall, the MyBook Studio is a nice drive.

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

wow, one terabyte for $260.. pretty steep. I was hoping for something under $200.

6. johnnyham macrumors regular

I picked up a 1 TB Western Digital MyBook on sale at Best Buy in August '09 for $140. Definitely one of my better computer investments. The USB-only drive was only $130, but I definitely prefer Firewire when it comes to data transfer, so I was willing to shell out a few extra bucks for it. The FW model came with USB and eSATA too.

I don't really see why you'd need a portable drive (I'm assuming USB powered?) when you have a 500 GB HDD in your Pro already. My drive is portable in that I can easily slide it into its box and carry it over to wherever I'm going. Doesn't weigh much either.

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^ I want to keep large files on it and also share between computers like my home Mac Mini and my MacBook Pro on the go. And where I am I may not have power so that's why I want to keep it portable. But working w/ HD and all, the files get big. I do have a large Fantom Drive I have for backups