Advice for losing weight?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ozzyman500, Aug 8, 2010.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

So I'm almost 26 and I'm about 225. I don't think I eat a lot it's just lately I haven't been myself and stressed out way too much. I think most of it is all the booze I have been drinking. I'd really like to cut that back too, I don't see myself going to the gym or anything like that. The most exercise I get is mowing the yard about every week and that takes about an hour and a half almost. Sometimes I walk on break at work but don't like how I smell after. I wouldn't mind getting up in the morning but I can't sleep that good now as well either. Any tips besides not drinking too much and go out more? Thanks guys.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Reduce the stress, exercise and eat healthy. The general rule is to consume more than you swallow. Take some deodorant with you at work so when you finish your break, you can hide the smell. It's not rocket science but you have to be tough to yourself. Make it a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet, those never work.

If you have a problem with booze, go to see a professional. I remember my family member seeing a doctor who gave him some pills. Everytime he drank, even a small amount, it made him feel so sick that he could not drink more. He got rid of booze with those. Quit all boozing because if you take it sometimes with friends when trying to get rid of it, you may end up losing the control. If you go to town with friends, drink some non-alcoholic drinks or just water.

Also, eat enough but healthy food like vegetables etc, not junk food. Those will make you feel more refreshed and gives you energy to exercise.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Hmmm. I lost 50lbs. on the math diet.

Calories consumed < calories used. No easy fix or wacky diet. Part of that equation meant one normal size cocktail per day. Since I do like food & cooking, had to research what could filled me up, taste good and had the proper calorie content. Fast food is a no no.

4. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Seriously reduce stress. It took me years to loose 60 lbs since I didn't exercise at all, I just ate healthier foods in smaller quantities. I'd try to drop the booze entirely. That'll help you sleep better and then you can get up and go to they gym. :)

Same here. 3500 calories (about) is one pound of body fat. Try to cut out that many calories a week, ie: 500/day and you'll loose weight healthfully. Eat lots of soluble fiber.

5. ranguvar macrumors 6502

Try being cold as much as possible (while not getting ill, obviously). Being cold makes your body lose a immense amounts of energy. You can also go to a (cold) pool or lake and swim, or hike up a mountain. That consumes lots of energy as well. I don't recommend fitness centers or yoga-style exercises.

Other than that, stay away from booze, don't drink soft drinks but water. Don't try out diets, I haven't met one single person who got successful with diets. Try to eat less, especially fat and sugar. If you think you ate enough but still have hunger, try drinking lots of water, it helps.

Other than that, try to do stuff you like so that it distracts you from your hunger. You can also try out the WeightBot app for iPhone, I hear it helps people.

6. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say I'm addicted to alcohol. I can go without it. Thanks for all the tips guys. It's just so hard losing weight.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Cut out fat and sugar from beverages and condiments. No more soda, juice, or such. No more ranch dressing, honey mustard, mayo or other fatty dressings.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've known a couple of people having success with the 'S' diet...no Snacks, Sweets or Seconds except on days that start with S.

It's easier to turn that into a lifestyle change than the typical diet trend, because skipping snacks, sweets and seconds is sustainable in a way that 'fad' diets' are not. You could add booze to the three S's as well, as liquor has a lot of calories and no nutritional value.

9. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Sleep is another important factor, make sure you get enough of it.

I gained a TON of weight when I wasn't sleeping properly even though I was eating about the same(and probably exercising a little bit more than I usually do).

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Write down how much you per day then count calories. You'll probably be surprised.

If you have an iPhone, get Lose It! A great free app that tracks calories, exercise and weight. It was an eye-opener and has done wonders in a simple way.

Now if I have what I want to eat, I know what it costs and what I need to do to make sure I'm under my limit.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

In addition to all the great advice received here, you could consider engaging in a light/moderate exercise. You stated that you wouldn't go to a gym, which is fine. How about getting some nice e-books (either through Audible or iTunes) that may interest you, and then try listening to them while walking? I'm not talking about anything dramatic here. See if you could listen and walk for 15 minutes and then extend it to 30 minutes. Try to do it on as many days of the week as you can (either in the morning or after work). You may find that as you get engrossed into the storyline of your book, the time will just fly by. The more you engage your cardiovascular system (in combination with your new diet regimen) the sooner will the fat start melting off.

Good luck!

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Cut the sodas, you can live without them. Eat fruits you like instead and drink water, it is more refreshing. No to whole milk, yes to fat free. The first days are the hardest, after 21st days doing something you will make a habit of it.
    Chewing the food a longer time will also help you to enjoy the food longer, eat less and better digestion. Keep walking.

13. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I've lost about 40 pounds in the last year or so by switching to diet pop and taking Advocare MNS. I used to sell it about 8 years ago and found a case of it in my basement. Rather than toss it, I figured I might as well take it myself. I'm not sure what to give more credit to - the diet pop or the Advocare, but I'm sure they each play a pretty good role. I haven't really changed what I eat, or my lack of exercise, so it is one or both of those things. I hit about 230 at my max, and I'm down to about 190. I haven't felt this good for some time. Now that I've lost this weight without really trying, I feel good enough to try running or something and just seeing how much more I can lose.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

There's a meth diet now?!? Sounds fun, but how did you deal with the tooth rot?

:D

Dieting doesn't work long term. You need to change your lifestyle to have any lasting effects.

And perhaps no more starting favorite beer or liquor threads, hmm?;)

15. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I found that walking, once you're used to it, doesn't burn a lot of calories. I also found that it doesn't make you better prepared for running!

I really hate running, a couple of years back, I really wanted to get into being more social and fitter, I joined a rugby club and a gym when they were starting pre season training. I lost about 25lbs from using the gym 4 times a week and doing rugby drills 2 times a week in about 3 weeks.

During a rugby training session, I planted my foot wrong and tore the meniscus in my left knee. I was told by an NHS physio after surgery to not play rugby anymore and that running is probably a bad idea. This made me pretty damn depressed, thinking of how I was doing well beforehand only to have that happen. Then I thought '******* the NHS', started back at the gym near my work, strengthening my knees, cycling (in the gym) and doing freeweights and then ended up being made redundant. So all of the good work went to waste and I gained back the weight from feeling pretty awful and then getting a job which was a 4 hour round trip (it's only 14miles though, public transport to it is real slow).

2 Weeks ago, I moved to the town my work is in, I'm cycling into work and have covered 60km since last Monday. I've found that my body is getting stronger and it's really enjoyable. I've only lost 1lb in my first week, and doubt I've lost anything this week either (with my birthday and 2 meals out), but I feel fitter than when I moved.

I'm going to aim to do 150km a month on a bike to see if that will do anything to help me lose weight, if I'm on flat land and my legs are spinning most of the time rather than cranking up a hill, then I think it will be better for weight loss, my legs feel 'thicker' from cranking up hills, so my legs are getting more powerful it seems.

I've also found that I can be careful with what I eat, lose a lot in the first week but then lose nothing if I'm doing no exercise and that gets me down. I definitely feel better if I'm exercising. Even if I lose little or no weight, I feel fitter and don't get bogged down.

I also noticed a plan 'couch 2 5k' which looks quite interesting, it's supposed to ease you into running, doing 60 seconds of running to 90 second breaks. You do 3 sessions a week, and should build your stamina over several weeks rather than stepping outside and trying to run or jog for 15 minutes straight, which is hard if you're heavy and not used to it.

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Eat less per meal. Try to eat half of what you normally eat, then wait to see how you feel in a few minutes. We eat way too much and too large of portions in the us.

17. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I love how we get at least 1 weight loss thread a month.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

I think a weight gain thread would be more interesting.:p

19. _Matt macrumors 6502

First you should increase your water intake astronomically (cold/ice water is better than warm water because it burns more calories, plus it makes it more bearable to drink so much water). You should be drinking 8 cups of water a day.

Eliminate sodas. They are the worst.

Eliminate processed sugars.

Limit salt intake.

Limit alcohol intake (beer should be avoided).

Limit or eliminate caffeine. (Switch to tea if you're okay without coffee. A cold turkey caffeine quit causes severe headaches.)

Honestly, to start I would just start by drinking water most of the time and increasing fruits and vegetable intake. The physiological effect of burning off body fat is not going to pleasant, but water, fruits, and vegetables will hopefully help detoxify. Make an effort to purchase new workout clothes that you feel comfortable in, and start hitting the stationary bike for cardio for 10 minutes every day. Do this before breakfast and drink water before, during, and after the workout.

When you lose a little bit, hit the elliptical for 10 minutes a day. Increase your cardio time as you feel comfortable and track your progress. Eventually you should be doing 20 to 30 minutes of cardio most days if not every day of the week.

Hope my advise helps! I just started getting myself to the gym. It was a struggle at first but man do those endorphins and psychological effects help push you through a workout.