Advice for Macbook Pro Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattniles007, Feb 28, 2009.

1. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Hi I was asking for opinions on upgrade memory for my new 15" MBP. I bought the 2GB 250GB Model yesterday, and I want to upgrade to 4GB. I know enough that Kingston is a good name but I have not heard of Corsair or Mushkin. Are these brands alright? or is there any other suggestions? any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Crucial is the best, and everyone knows it.

If your press 'scan my system' on the left of their site, it will even tell you what type of RAM you need.

3. mattniles007 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattniles007

4. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I got 4GB Mushkin in my MBP and so far I have no problems with it what so ever. From what I read, Mushkin seems to be kinda like the Ferarri or Porsche or Bugatti (or which ever car company is Teh King right now :p) of RAM.

5. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

I have used Kingston (even the value ram) and crucial -- no problems at all. I am also fond of OWC -- they are not always the cheapest, but very nice to work with if you get a bad one -- returning bad memory to Fry's or Best Buy can be a huge hassle.
    It you get the right type of ram for your model, I don't think the brand matters too much.On the other hand -- Crucial can be found on sale most of the time somewhere if you keep your eyes open.