Advice for multi-video Flash streaming?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by arvinb, Aug 18, 2009.

1. arvinb macrumors member

I'm designing a wordpress site for a client where they will supply me with a .FLV file of a video, and I would need it up on the site with Flash controls.

Ideally I'd want a solution where I can just upload the FLV onto a folder, create a new post in wordpress, type in the filename (or something like that), and the post will contain the FLV in a flash video wrapper with controls.

The main thing I'm trying to minimize is having to go into Flash, and having to deal with multiple files. If I just have to deal with one swf for the controller, and one FLV for each video, I'd be dandy. That way eventually I can teach the client to upload it themselves.

2. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

Theres a theme that does that pretty well. We have it set up on one of our sites: http://www.elegantthemes.com/preview/eVid/

It's $20 to get all their themes. Maybe you'll find it useful.

Or, if you really want to design it yourself, maybe I can send you this theme and you can tear it apart and recreate the video pages to fit your design....

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Another solution is to install the powerful open source FCK Editor which has an FLV plugin. This means within the editor used to enter the post, the user simply clicks an icon and it pops up a helpful easy to follow dialog where they can upload or reference an FLV file on the server, plus other options. It will generate the HTML which ends up as a player for the end user. Extremely cool, and platform independent, use this on any web page or CMS, FCK is well known, popular, well supported and works with all popular scripting languages.

http://www.cyroot.com/blog/2008/10/08/flvplayer-plug-in-fix-for-fckeditor-263/

That page includes links to the actual plugin, after you install FCK Editor of course, plus a fix one user added to make the plugin work even better. On a side note, FCK has always had .SWF support, i.e. click an icon in the editor, upload/configure, save and done, showing the SWF to the user in the post when viewed through your web site. If the client is able to generate .flv, they can usually generate .swf as well through Flash. Just so ya know.

-jim