Advice for potential sale fraud (with serial numbers)

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by choosk, May 30, 2012.

1. choosk macrumors newbie

May 30, 2012
    Hey guys, new member here.

I've come across a bit of a speed hump.

My friend from interstate asked me to buy her a 32gb 4g ipad, and i did, sent it to her, all sealed, which she received.

Then she said that the product is wrong/not working and it's not what she ordered, I asked her to send the item back so i can get a refund. She keeps insisting she'll take care of it and i should refund her the money and she'll give it back. I don't trust that's what will happen.

Now here's the quick question.. Is there any way I can check through the serial number of the ipad where that item came from? As in, if it's the same one that i got for her, or if it came from another place? I've heard this bait and switch trap happen a lot before. A person gets a new ipad, then returns a different one.. also happens a lot with beats headphones.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
  2. tekno macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2011
    If she's a friend, just trust she's being honest with you.

So you're down $600 or whatever having bought it for her and she's saying she wants you to send her $600 cos its wrong making you $1200 out of pocket? This makes no sense.
  3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Feb 28, 2011
    Is it just me or does this have a fishy odor to it?
  4. choosk thread starter macrumors newbie

May 30, 2012
    i forgot to mention that she gave me the money to buy her the ipad (through an apple discount, a bit cheaper than if she bought it herself) now she's asking me to forward her the cost, and she'll send it back to me. I will not be doing that.

Anyways, does anyone have any idea of the serial number tracing?
  5. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2008
  6. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    Sorry all sales final and go find a new friend
  7. Todthebod macrumors member

Jul 21, 2007
    What's the discount? We get an Apple discount through my work but it's only like $20. Her wanting the money back without sending the thing back so you can get a refund reeks of a scam friend or not. Please give more information on this friendship. Is this a model that's sends you a lot of pictures from Nigeria.....uh I mean Georgia? Is it a friend that you're secretly in love with that uses you like a doormat?

Insert 'something is afoot' gif here......
  8. poloponies Suspended

May 3, 2010
    None of this story makes sense.