advice for purchasing iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ballbuster, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ballbuster macrumors newbie

An iphone has just been posted on a forum I know of for sale.

Im pretty sure it isn't a scam, what should I look out for when I go to do a cash on collection?

This is in England btw.

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

When meeting face to face its best to be safe, Bring a friend or two as backup. Ive herd of many stories were it was simply a lure to steal money and the buyer ended up injured.

Fully inspect the phone, the back cover, screen etc and try to get a demo of all the features to make sure it works. Look for dents too!

If something feels wrong leave immediately.

Good luck and be safe.

3. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Hahaha...you guys are way too serious.

All you have to do is get the serial number of the phone and run it through Apple's warranty website. Then check to make sure there isn't water damage and the phone doesn't appear to have been dropped. Everything else can be replaced at Apple store. Not sure how easy in UK, but it is pretty damn easy in US.

4. aneftp macrumors 601

No, always be careful with craigslist transactions because of Cash involved

No, you have to be very careful when doing cash transactions. I always meet in a public place (best buy, circuit city, target, supermarket etc). $200-$1000 cash isn't that much money to to most people but to these thieves, money is money and if something goes wrong or if they panic, they may use a weapon (gun/knife).

So always take precautions when doing cash transactions.

95% of people who do craigslist ads are very honest but you know the saying 5% of the population commit 90% of all crimes...or something like that.

Bring a friend if you can and meet in daylight at a public place is what I always recommend.