Advice for Random Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Jun 7, 2007.

1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

My wife's black MacBook has started exhibiting the "Random Shutdown" problem that many of the CD MacBooks had. But I can't predict it or document how it happens. Any advice before I call Apple?

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

3. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

having done the standard stuff (reset pram/pmu, repair permissions, etc), i guess i'm looking on what exactly to say to the applecare people so that i don't get the runaround.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

as long as its RSS, and its rev A MB, call apple, u don't need to present proof since its not predicable, apple knows it and im sure they will take it back for repair.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

QFT.

Apple has acknowledged this problem and should readily repair/replace it.

6. maytsang macrumors newbie

I've also had this RSS problem after using my macbook for 11 months, took it to apple store yesterday and they weren't sure what the problem was but said they would replace the logic board and heat sink.
    They said it would take 5-7 days but to my surprise, they rung me today and said it was ready to be collected! They also changed the trackpad cover and keyboard because of discolouration which was nice of them. Altogether it would of cost £600 but luckily it was under warrantly.

Started using my laptop when i got back home and the random shut down is still happening! I then noticed that it seems to happen only when the laptop is running on battery power, so at the moment i am testing the macbook on a different battery to see if it will shut down randomly again.

So far it seems to be ok, so it seems that the battery was causing all the problem.