Advice for simple device to display pictures on TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MetallicRage23, Dec 16, 2014.

1. MetallicRage23 macrumors newbie

I’m looking for a solution for my parents for an easy way of displaying pictures on their TV from an iPhone (5c), iPad (1st generation), or iMac (2013). I need the simplest, most reliable method for my dad who is easily frustrated with technology. I’m considering the Apple TV, but for $100 it seems overkill for what he wants and he probably won’t use many (or any) other features. I worry about the slowness and delay of airplay and reliability of connecting to iTunes. My Apple TV often has issues connecting even when hard wired.

Are there any better options for them? As I understand it, Chromecast has a couple of apps available, but I don’t know how good/easy/reliable they are. And Amazon Fire Stick doesn’t have iOS capability yet.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated!

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Does it have to be a wireless connection?
    I know apple made a 30pin to hdmi connector to mirror the iPad. Through that, they can display their ipad photos on the tv.

The Apple TV is a simple solution if they keep their photos on the iPhoto app on the Mac. I don't remember exactly how it syncs up (I think via home sharing), but that way they are always available. I never used mine extensively for photos, but I haven't had any issues with it. Most of my issues come when streaming videos, the sound cuts off every now and then for a few seconds. Quite annoying...

It does seem like overkill just for that purpose, but maybe if you show them some other features like AirPlay mirror, where they can show their enitre iPhone/iPad/iMac desktop on the tv and use it as a wireless monitor or something.

I haven't owned a chrome cast for long enough to tell you what it can and can't do, but I'm sure there must be some way to display iOS photos through it. Dont know for sure though.

3. priitv8, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

priitv8 macrumors 68020

If the TV is of the "Smart" kind and has network connection, you should get away just with a DLNA/UPnP server app on your device.
    For the Mac the best so far is PS3 Media Server, IMHO.
    For iOS, you shall browse the store, there are many available.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

FWIW, you can get refurbs from Apple for $75. I got one awhile ago and it was just like new. Giving another as a Christmas gift now.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/appletv

5. MetallicRage23 thread starter macrumors newbie

The 30-pin to HDMI would be easy enough for the iPad. Looks like they also make an 8-pin to HDMI, but it's $49. So I could get the refurbished ATV for cheaper than two (Apple) adapters, unless there are cheaper third party adapters.

Unfortunately, the HDTV they would be using it on is not "smart."