Advice for speaking with Genius

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applequestion44, Feb 22, 2014.

1. applequestion44, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

applequestion44 macrumors newbie

Resolved (machine currently working) many thanks.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A damp cloth shouldn't ever put enough liquid in a laptop to cause this type of damage.

I've been cleaning my MacBooks fir years this way without issue.

Unless you did soak it, I would point out the warranty, that you are not happy, and want a replacement/ refund.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Be honest, which you should have been to begin with. Apple may not bail you out. But, I don't think it is right to try and deceive Apple because you messed up, even if it has only been 20 days.

4. applequestion44, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

applequestion44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I edited my original post to clear up a couple things.

First, I was honest with the Genius I spoke with and I intend to be honest when I return.

Second, I do not know with certainty what caused the malfunction. I presume it was from cleaning it. It's also possible, I admit, that water damage was inflicted at another time, which I'm honestly unaware of.

Finally, it's possible that this is an unrelated malfunction.

So again, I will be honest. But I'm just asking what is the best way to maximize the odds of a favorable outcome, while of course being honest.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ridiculous statement, it HAS suffered, you stated a "wet" cloth, depends largely how wet is wet but clearly (barring alien intervention), those most likely cause is the moisture on the cloth you used....

They already know this don't they?

They probably know this too

See [A]

They may well know it to - it may already be noted against your serial number, to prevent Apple being scammed like this....

----------

This was already the outcome, you just don't like it....I use nothing more than a cleaning wipe that REALLY struggles to produce genuine liquid even when squeezed hard.

6. applequestion44, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

applequestion44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Edited again for clarity. Absolutely no idea why 2 separate replies have assumed I would be dishonest with the Genius.

I am not certain of what caused the malfunction and neither are they

There is nothing wrong with acting in a way that minimizes the odds of them refusing to repair a defective product (I can't know for sure if it was damaged or defective).

7. simonsi, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

But they do.

Essentially you are too late for the discussion you want to have, Apple have examined it and concluded it was liquid damage because they observed liquid - that means you caused or allowed recent liquid ingress (assuming it powered up the MBP heat and airflow would dry actual liquid quite quickly so the thought that observable liquid may have been introduced some time ago just isn't realistic.

These guys will see liquid-damaged MBPs day in and day out, it will be a big cause of revenue loss to Apple if they allow a repair price movement because it is a relatively common non-warranty repair and an expensive one.

You would be better looking to either your household contents, special items or credit card accidental damage insurance than trying to get Apple to pick this up for you (which means all other Apple customers BTW).

8. applequestion44 thread starter macrumors newbie

A genuine 'thank you' simonsi for the insurance tip.

But I don't see how the fact that they observed liquid guarantees that liquid caused the problem. It still seems fair to point out the actual possibility that it could have been a defect.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Any observable liquid inside electronics is going to cause a problem.

The fact that you went there straight away reinforces the likelihood that it was your cleaning that caused the liquid that Apple observed.

Your logic is akin to taking a badly dented MBP into Apple, with a smashed screen, and asking them to fix, for free the HDD - failure of which <might> not be due to the physical impact to the machine.

It may not (as with your liquid-in-the-MBP-may-not-have-caused-the-problem logic) but:

Apple warranty terms will say it did.
    Common sense says it did.

Your grasping at a straw won't undo any of this.

Edited to add: This is really a bitch of a thing to happen but it isn't down to Apple to fix for free.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

At twenty days old, and being honest, I can't see any outcome except a replacement.

11. applequestion44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. You make a good point that it's being new probably minimizes the odds of defect.

And thanks everyone else.

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Umm, electronics follow a "bathtub curve", so the chance of failure due to a defect is higher during the early-life period, then follows a flat-line, then rises at some point towards the end of life.

Non of that applies with damage or contamination though.

13. applequestion44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. Ok. Thank you very much.