Advice for starting HS?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MonksMac, Aug 16, 2007.

1. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I'll be starting High School soon and am kind of scared, not in a bad little kid way, but how different it is. Can anyone give any advice about high school?
    Cheers,
    MM:apple:
    P.S. I know this is a stupid topic but I'm curios, so sue me.:apple:

2. nicque macrumors regular

its nothing like the movies, you will adjust easily, and everyone starts doing drugs.

3. 66217 Guest

Just enjoy it!

High School is the best part of your life, really. You are still young enough to don't have many responsibilities (job, maintaining yourself, etc.) and old enough to do almost whatever you want.

Also, probably you'll make your best friends in HS.

But also is the time when you can really destroy your life. So play it safe. And definitely don't do drugs.

So again, just enjoy it, because then college comes and the real responsibilities start to sink in. But still, I'm finding college to be a great experience.

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Its the same as middle school, only more freedom. Upperclassmen don't beat you up and shove you out of the way, unless you play a sport where froshes are usually fooled with lightly and they have to do all the dirty work (moving equipment etc).

An example of fooling: This year I am a Junior and at captains soccer practices we said we were going to run up this giant hill to get in shape, and we were going by grade to have less crowding so we had the freshman go first and then we just continued on our jog away while they thought they had to run up the hill.

And yea everybody does drugs and alcohol. You can make your own decision as to what you want to get involved with. I didn't expect the amount of drug use in my rural-suburban town of 13,000 people. I would say 80% of my class has tried weed, and at least 40% does it on a regular basis. I guess that's what happens in a small upper middle class farming town with nothing to do in it. So don't just think that urban schools have drug issues. I think depending on where you are correlates to what drugs are used- in my town it just seems to be weed. In the town over its weeds and shrooms. Anyways, just because other people are doing it doesn't mean you have to.

It's also interesting how much friendships change. People you were once good friends with you might not hang out with anymore. People that were once popular lose their friends and become nobodies and loser's somehow become popular. Big groups of friends split up and the most unassuming people become friends. It's interesting. Since people have different classes the amount of exposer to different people changes.

You notice the changes but they don't seem as severe as they sound. You'll enjoy it though, its a lot more fun than middle school.

There is really nothing to be afraid of. You have your friends there with you, and teachers are usually nice haha.

5. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

well tell us what you're worried about.

when i was a frosh i got lost a lot and frosh at our school get teased by upperclassmen but it's just like a friendly joking. but thats just my school, it's really big.

you'll definitely find drug users and drinkers but in my school theres a lot of people that don't do anything against the law.

but otherwise, don't be intimidated and enjoy yourself. go to like football games and school events.

6. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Meh, I'm not really too worried about drugs or, whatever I'm just worried about finding classes and riding the bus for the first time.:eek: I know I'm sad.

7. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Lovely, Safari crashed and along with it went my in-progress post. Let's try that again.

When I was a junior in HS, I felt that high school was the best years of your life, as Roco said. Now that I'm in college, I disagree and think that college is even better, but to each their own.

High school is cool in that you don't have to pay for anything and you aren't "out on your own" yet (well, unless you really want to be), but uncool in that it's more restrictive than, say, college. Depending on your high school, there can be pressure from both the administration and your fellow students. All you can do is just be yourself. Bullying wasn't really an issue in high school for me, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration (that freshmen get bullied all the time, anyway) but maybe it's more prevalent in other places.

High school is important because it's your first chance to really lean in a certain direction academically. I don't mean in terms of choosing a career path or specific field of study (though some high schools have "tracks"), but rather in terms of overall academic performance, as this determines what colleges you'll get into, assuming you want to go that route (I would highly recommend it!). As you get into your junior and senior years, you'll have more freedom in terms of what classes to take. If you want to aim high in terms of colleges/scholarships then take plenty of AP/honors classes. I'm kind of getting ahead of myself here as you're just starting HS, but it's something to keep in mind. Also if you like extracurriculars or clubs, those are good, as is community service where it presents itself. Getting involved in stuff outside of classes throughout your high school years can be helpful, both personally and in terms of college.

edit: school bus or city bus? I like regular buses but I'm not a fan of school buses (but whatever, it's no big deal). It may take a little while to get familiar with the high school, as it may be bigger than what you're used to, but you'll be a pro at it in no time. It's always like that.

8. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Wow you guys are fast! Yep I'm going to be on a school bus and not a City Bus. You guys have been really informative. Thanks again!:apple:

9. 66217 Guest

College is great, but the difference I tell is that in college you start having real responsibilities.
    And my HS is just the best HS in the whole world. It was so much fun.:)

Are the percents of people doing drugs true? I find it quite high. I would say that of my HS, very few were on drugs. I would even dare say no one was a regular user, and very few had tried it.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No, not sad at all. Every year in HS, I'd make sure before the first day of classes, to go to school and figure out where the classes were.

Hell, I did that at uni. And I still do it now. :)

And HS is chill. I miss it. Loved it. Got most of my HW done before the class day ended. Heh. Loved that.

:edit: As for the drug talk? Weed is so much easier for kids to obtain than alcohol. At least in this area. So a lot more kids would smoke than drink.

11. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Finding classes aren't as hard as it sounds.

Try and get in to your school early. Go with a couple of friends and familiarize yourself with the school. Anything that the school gives you, like a planner/book, that has a map on it helps a lot. If you get lost, just ask a teacher, they will be more than willing to help. Also, first impressions are a big thing. Try to be early for everyone of your classes for the first couple of weeks, and make sure you're ready for that class (ie: have the correct textbooks/materials etc.).

Give it about a week or so, and you'll get used to it. Highschool isn't a whole lot different than elementary school. Just everything is bigger and a little bit more complicated.

Lastly, have fun and get involved. If you don't want to, you don't have to. Almost every teacher though will recommend getting involved and having fun. It's all part of the highschoolers life. Join clubs/teams, not only will you meet new people and make new friends, but you'll have fun too.

Enjoy it! :)

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I would say there are pretty high at least where I live. People can somehow afford to keep up their habit without there parents noticing. I would say most parents/teachers/administrators are oblivious to the large numbers doing drugs, those who are not are in denial and think "my kid would never do that".

A lot of my friends do weed. I myself don't because a) It's illegal b) it's stupid c) it's dirty (smoke, where did it come from, etc) and d) unhealthy IMHO. I guess I am not as good as friends with a lot people because all they ever want to do is get high and I don't. For example, I get invited to go to a movie, but before we go my friends have to get high first. And my friends aren't depressed and don't come from bad lives that would want to change there mental state to make the pain go away. Doesn't matter if they're rich, poor, happy, depressed, athletic, non atheltic, smart, stupid, etc they just want to do it get high.

It's not like you can just go out and hang out anymore..

Maybe tomorrow I'll go through my yearbook and come up with a rough ratio.

sorry if I am getting this off-track
    ----

As for finding classes that's easy. I am sure you know some upperclassmen that can help you. If not don't be afraid to ask someone, just ask a girl, they won't lie. Teachers are also lenient in the beginning of the year, they understand that you don't know your way around the building yet. I guarantee that after 2 or 3 days you'll know where everything is. Maybe you should go to your school now, in the summer and look around. The schools are open, janitors are cleaning, schedules are probably being sorted out, and teachers are prepping their rooms.

13. jellz macrumors regular

High school is such a joke. Glad I got a fresh start in college. It's just another stepping stone in life. Start looking into college admissions already if you want to build a profile for a prestigious college. Oh yeah! prom is overrated.

14. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

finding weed is easier than finding your classes. dont screw off freshie year. its the most important. trust me i did tht and its not fun having togo to summer school. juss enjoy it make some friends and dont lose them when u goto college.

15. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

haha

high school is fun at times :D

if you have bitchy teachers then you are out of luck..gotta live with it!

and if you start copying HWS from others then trust me..you will get into a habit of copying and you CAN'T get rid of it ;)

16. 103734 Guest

OMG ENJOY IT

Im telling ya, im a senior and man it went by way to fast, I wish it was longer, I really dont want to graduate yet, I wish I could stay in high school longer but you know with a 3.5 gpa and alot of AP classes and all your credits they dont really let you stay longer.:(

17. jng macrumors 65816

jng

High school was the worst time in my life, partly for reasons unrelated to school, but school certainly did not help! I made my best friends in elementary school and college actually. But then again many of my school classmates were my friends in elementary school :)

If you're just worried about that, then you'll be fine.

18. shecky Guest

shecky

high school sucks; college.... ahhhh college... thats where the sugar is.

19. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

2 big things:

your grades don't really matter
    play a sport

20. shecky Guest

shecky

thats great advice if all you plan on doing after high school is being a townie waiter.

21. BigPrince macrumors 68020

take the highest level classes you can possibly take and go as far as you can.

22. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Im a computer programmer at the largest financial institution in the US, and I still have a year of college left.

Looks like you just got owned...

Oh, I mean, do you want fries with that?

23. shecky Guest

shecky

how did i get owned exactly? you think telling someone to make sure they play a sport and not worry about their grades is sound advice because you lucked into some programming job? do explain.

24. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Because you assume that you need good grades in HS, or you will be a complete failure. This simply isn't the case, and I used a real life example to prove it.

25. shecky Guest

shecky

and you assume that sports are more important than grades; and i can provide a million real life examples of how that might be considered bad advice.

if your point is "dont just study, do other stuff too" well i certainly agree with that, tho at the end of the day your high school social life is irrelevant on day one of college.