Advice for taking out optical drive and replacing with an SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iMacHardYee, Nov 8, 2010.

1. iMacHardYee macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

So I have decided I want to replace my optical drive with an SSD of some sort. I dont know whether I should use an MLC or SLC SSD though. I want to install the OS and all my applications on the SSD. Most of the time I will save files, for example .psd (photoshop) files to my stock HDD though. Is this a good idea? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Meever macrumors 6502a

SSD (intel x25-m g2) + stock 500gb hard drive my my setup at the moment and it's great. Be sure to move your profile folders into the HD as well to save space.

3. paddyhazard macrumors regular

This what i am planning on doing once i get my optibay from china but i was going to put working files on the ssd and store archives and files i'm not using on the HDD. large psd files will open and save/work so much quicker on the ssd.

4. iMacHardYee thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Meever macrumors 6502a

It's the folder with your user name. It's where all your movies, music, download, etc files are kept.

6. iMacHardYee thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I only plan on running the OS and all my applications on the SSD but plan on saving everything else like pitures and music to the original 320GB HD

7. mankymanning macrumors regular

How do you do this? I am currently runing with my profile on the SSD