Advice for upgrading from iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by catwithnojob, Apr 11, 2014.

1. catwithnojob macrumors newbie

So
    I bought an iPhone 3G last summer and have learned that 1) iOS 4.2.1 is dumb. 2) I need a new phone.
    What, in your opinion, is the best pricing, website, location, etc. for a factory unlocked 4/4s/5/5s/5c that doesn't involve me being scammed for a "free" iPhone? Anyplace it won't cost me $450 or the fear of eBay outbidders/"for parts only" in fine print?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've got a couple of 3GS's sitting on my desk. The kids were pretty hard on them but I believe a 3GS would get you to iOS5 or possibly even 6. I need to charge them to see if they will even hold a charge before I offer them to anyone. For mine you would need an olde-fashioned full sized at&t sim as the sims in them were deactivated when I shut down the kids' phones to move them to iPhone 4.

As for buying a phone, when you check ebay, look at "completed listings" to find out what they are really selling for. I suggest you stick with 4S or later if you can find one you can afford.

3. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I think I'd wait until the 6 is released. There are plenty of folks out there who must have the latest and will unload their 5S on Craigslist. This will also drive down the value of the 4S already there.

Remaining Applecare and all manuals/cables is a good indication that people have taken care of their equipment. Nevertheless, have the seller agree to meet you at a Genius Bar appointment to check it over. They checked mine for free.

4. catwithnojob thread starter macrumors newbie

Ironically I was trying to buy a 3GS on eBay and got handed a 3G (in my defense the backing is one of a 3GS for some reason) and it took me a week and already having a service plan to figure out why iTunes said "check the cable" every time I tried to update to iOS 6.1.2 (where a 3GS cuts off).
    But I would like a newer model just because I am addicted to iOS 7's flat icons and smooth flowing everything, while my 3G can take a whole 45 seconds after you hit the home button while locked before the "slide to unlock" handle actually moves. Plus I'm pretty sure the 3GS doesn't have FaceTime and skype requires that you turn your phone so the outer camera can catch you. But I did think the 3GS was a good beginner phone (but the 3G already took that position) and now I need a better smartphone.

Also, I've seen some people on eBay who only put "for parts" in the big details box at the bottom of the page, but don't put it in the title or the status like they should. Honestly I would even buy a cracked but working iPhone and a separate screen but my dreams are contantly crushed by eBay snipers.
    That sounds like a good idea. Even though I live like two hours away from a relatively large city, Craigslist still has me in the same section as that city, so I'm sure to find those kind of people.
    With the 4 soon to be thrown to the side just like the 2G, 3G and 3GS, you would think it would be cheaper on bidding sites like eBay and Amazon. I guess people are still trying to get their money's worth?
    A meetup sounds like a great idea. Plus because I am not trading iPhones I don't have to worry about them being picky.