Advice for using Linksys wireless adapter in powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cdeburg7, Aug 10, 2008.

1. cdeburg7 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this website so I hope I'm doing this right..

Anyway, I have a Powerbook G4 that's about five years old. It doesn't have an internal wireless card so I bought a Linksys wireless adapter to plug into the side of my computer when I first got the computer. It worked fine for years. I recently reformatted my hard drive and now when I insert the wireless adapter it no longer will allow me to connect to the internet. I'm aware that Linksys doesn't have drivers for Mac users so I'm kinda confused how I got it to work in the first place. I don't remember installing any third party software, but I may have-- it was a few years ago. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions what I should do to allow me to use my linksys card in my Mac? I've heard of Orangeware but I'm not sure if that's the solution. Thanks for your help!

Oh one more thing, when I plug the card in, an icon appears in the top right corner that shows something is plugged into the port but doesn't allow me to click on it and search for wireless connections.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. cdeburg7 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What version of Airport Utility do you have. Supposedly 3.3 or above supports that card.

5. cdeburg7 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's version 2.1.1-- how do I update the utility version? Should I download it on an internet ready computer, save it on a flash drive, and open it on my powerbook? If so, where would I get an updated version?

6. cdeburg7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I'm not connecting to an Apple airport base station (the white dome shaped thing) I'm connecting to my Netgear wireless router. If that makes a difference. But it's what I used to connect to and it always worked.