Advice for vintage gaming under Windows on a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jouster, Nov 1, 2009.

1. jouster macrumors 65816

Hi all. I have a quick question relating to MacBook gaming: My old HD was way too small, so I bought a 320GB to replace it. I'll be doing a clean install soon. I also have an old copy of XP that I got ages ago and never used. I'm hoping the activation key still works...

Anyway, back in the day, I used to play Quake II and III a lot, as well as some other games. I think I still have the disks somewhere. I really liked Quake II, and would like to go through it again. Plus, I'm sure there are some other vintage (QII was '97!) games I could play.

My MacBook is the first Core 2 Duo model, with 2 GB of RAM and, I guess, the 950 integrated graphics. The PC I used to use for QII was a P2 450 MHz with a Voodoo GPU, so I *think* it should be no sweat for the Macbook, even with the crappy integrated graphics.... Heck, it seems some netbooks will run these old games.

Anyone done this? I don't want to go through the hassle of partitioning and installing XP if it's pointless.

Thanks!

2. fait74 macrumors newbie

I belive thet made both quake 2 and 3 for mac. Check amazon or eBay.
    Unless you really have to play the winodws disk.

3. jouster thread starter macrumors 65816

lol, certainly not - but since QII was released well before OS X, I wonder if it would it still be an option. I'll check ebay as you suggest.

Edit: Plenty of Quake and Quake III on ebay. No Quake II. :-(

Also, they were OS 9 native. Apparently there is some kinda patch on Versiontracker to allow them to run on OS X, but I dunno...