Advice from fellow programmers on Macbook Pro 13 inches

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GustavoRamos, Jun 28, 2012.

1. GustavoRamos macrumors newbie

Hello folks, i need a little advice from you again...

Initially I was thinking about buying me a 15" MBP. Currently I own a Dell Inspiron 15R with and 2.4GHz i5 CPU, 6GB Ram and 500GB 5k4rpm HDD. Its a great machine. I run windows in it with a linux VM with 4GB RAM running all the time for my programming tasks. I mostly program PHP and RoR.

Now... i was thinking I need something more portable. I always carry my laptop with me and my backpack is always full, so a less heavy laptop would be awesome.

Now i'm thinking about buying the top of line 13" lappy, with dual-core i7 and 8GB RAM. I could upgrade the RAM to 16GB and swap the drive for a SSD and buy a optidrive caddy for the 500GB drive... what do you think? With this config will I be able to do the same tasks I currently do on my current laptop?

I almost do not play anything at the PC. I have a desktop for that and play 2 games almost exclusively (Starcraft II and CoD). Gaming is a no-go on my workstation, so the intel 4000 GPU is nice for me.

The reduced screen size / resolution would bother me a lot ? I know this is very subjective, I just wanted to know a guy who really programs on a 13" MBP.... are there any of you here ?

2. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I currently program on a 13" '09 MBP. The screen size isn't terrible (it's pretty decent), but the C2D just has a rough time handling my VMs - I'm in the market for a new comp this summer as well.

I think a lot of it depends on cost. I know when I was considering getting an upper-end 13", a lot of it revolved around the fact that SSDs are expensive, and the 13" MBP is only $600 less (assuming student discount) than the MBPR to begin with. Add in the fact that they're the same weight (MBPR is slightly lighter), and the MBPR runs on a QC CPU (especially good for running multiple VMs) and you're about at the same value for each (Apple forces you to pay $180 to upgrade to 16GB RAM, but they don't rip you off TOO much). And you get larger screen size + pixels...

Other than that, the only comp I really see as cost-effective would be the base 13" MBA w/RAM upgrade, but then you still have to deal with 8GB max of RAM and a ULV CPU (not quite the best for virtualization), so it is quite the issue.

3. harrisonw1998 macrumors regular

It is ok, but mainly the bad part is that iPad apps are hard to display when developing.