Advice From Graphic/Web Designers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Visionblue, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Visionblue macrumors member

Hello!

I'm currently self-learning the worlds of graphic and web design with hopes of eventually becoming a freelancer.

I currently own a 2010 white Macbook which has stood the test of time very well with the occasional upgrade ( Dual hard drives & RAM). It's more than sufficient for online classrooms but I realize I will eventually need to move on to more advanced programs and therefore a more powerful machine.

I've been reviewing my options and it seems a MBP is probably the best road to take. But I have some questions that I cannot answer myself;

1.) Is the bump to retina necessary if I were to purchase a spec'd out 2012 pro? I've been told retina is particularly helpful for graphic design and I realize the last non retina pro built is aging.

2.) Do you feel 16GB of ram is necessary or will 8GB suffice?

A friend who is in the same field swears by the spec'd out 15" retina with all of the bells and whistles but she spent over $2k and I'm not convinced that is entirely necessary.

Any insignt would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Navras2535 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't even consider going for a non-retina if you are focusing on graphic design, could get away with it if you were mainly coding for web design. Graphic design is all about how it looks, you should pay for a good screen.

In terms of 13" vs 15", the big difference is the quad core, which you will be wanting. A base level 15" with integrated graphics and 16gig of ram would suit you very well. If you are working heavily in 3D or video editing then consider specing it out but its not needed.

It would also be much better to get 16gig of ram as most adobe products will make good use of it

3. maartin macrumors newbie

It's hard to say for sure, since you say graphic and web design. I'm working in web design and 13' base retina is plenty for me. Just make sure you buy external 22'+ monitor to work with when you are in your office. But 16GBs will be pretty useful if you are thinking about working with vectors and other more demanding programs than Photoshop.