Advice from the Ladies in the Audiance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlindMellon, May 8, 2011.

1. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

i envy you guys who have wifes that actually give a crap about electronic devices. mine thinks iphones/pads/pods are a foolish waste of time and money and only begrudgingly uses the interwebs when she needs info on something.

didn't keep me from getting an iphone and ipad tho.

i bought her an (engraved) ipod nano (before apple dicked them up and made them postage stamp size) so she could have all her music at work with her (got her a dock as well) and it's collecting dust at home.

any advice from the ladies on how to change a wife's distaste for these amazing little devices? :confused:

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Try an old-fashioned roll in the hay, feisty style.

note: not a lady.

3. ann713 macrumors 6502a

While I love my iPhone, Apple laptop and all the productivity that it has given me, I can't speak for everyone. I'll even go as far by saying I wouldn't be able to manage without my iPhone. However, I have a few female friends who share the same opinion on 'iDevices' or any electronics for that matter. With that said, I don't see why you feel entitled to force it on your wife. Leave her be, out of respect.

4. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Some people simply don't like technology. It is not something gender specific. There are many men that are technophobic just as many geek-girls.

Lamentably you can't change people tastes.

5. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Ditto, go buy her some shoes, that will get you farther ;)

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If she likes music, what does your wife listen to at work or on the go?
    I'm presuming you've already loaded the ipod with her favorite tunes, right?

Also, you can ask her if she actually likes it. You did ask her afterward if she wanted it right? If ultimately she doesn't want to use it, then you can't force the mountain to come to Muhammad.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

or designer purses like LV, Coach, DP etc.... :D

8. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Some people just don't enjoy the technology. It has nothing to do with her being a WOMAN! :p

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my iDevices and my MBP. However, in my group of friends, EVERYONE has a Cricut machine. I don't like them, don't want one, won't use one. Has nothing to do with anything except that I don't enjoy the machine.

9. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Some people are more technically inclined than others. I'm a female and I have just about every techie device known to man. My boyfriend however doesn't even know how to eject a CD from his car radio. I was driving once with my ipod plugged into the radio and he waved his hand over it asking me to do my magic and change "the channel". He's far from stupid; he used to be a doctor and now works for the government. He's just not up on all the 'silly civilian' gadgets.

I guess I really don't have any advice for you. You can't make her like things she doesn't care about. And it's not just because she is female.

10. LapsangSouchong, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Exactly. I'm the geek in my family. My husband doesn't even like to think about technology. He'd still be carrying a cassette walkman if not "encouraged" along. It's just not his "thing". It's not gender specific.

11. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

My wife didn't care about my iPhone or iPad until she discovered she could facebook on them. A couple of weeks ago, she was looking into a DSLR camera at Best Buy, and she had the employee scan a coupon she found searching on her iPhone while at Best Buy, and got a 25% discount on top of the sales price. I don't even take the time in looking those things up at the store. When we go out to eat, and I have no idea where to go, she yelps it... and she finds something we both like. First it was facebook that got her interested... and it was the other little things that were useful in her life that got her hooked in iDevices.

If you want to get her interested in your iDevices, don't tell her things you are interested in. For example, I was explaining what FaceTime was when the iPhone 4 first came out... and cool it would be to use, and she said to me, "Why would I want to look at your face when we talk on the phone?" :(

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, you can't force your likes on her anymore than she can force you to like something. Accept your wife for who she is and enjoy your life.

13. marty1980 macrumors 6502

Know thy customer. In your case you should know you wife very well. If she doesn't like the i-products there's not much you can do.

I got my wife hooked through Facebook and Words with Friends. She doesn't do anything else on the iPod. She even has a cheap mp3 players she uses instead for her music. But she has found it convenient to be able to search the web and have fun with friends without having to get to the desktop computer or pull out a laptop. Now she wants an iPhone 4, but for the LED + 720p video recording not for the phone.

If you want her to get into it you have to find the apps that spark her interest and you have to find a way that won't make it inconvenient for her.

My grandmother refuses to use computers. She gave me money to buy her a laptop and order her cable internet. I set up the computer and internet and as soon as I was done she had me take everything back and cancel the internet. My brother bought her an iPhone when they first released, set up her email and showed her how to take pictures and go to the internet. Now she can't be detached from her iPhone 4. She even recently began doing Facebook and checking sports scores.

It's those things that work well into a person's life that will get them hooked.

14. applelvr macrumors member

5-6 years ago my husband bought me a 30g iPod for Christmas. I was disappointed. I had no interest in it - but I smiled & said thank you. However, months later I started to like it. Since then I have purchased an iPod nano (to take to the gym), a DICE system for my car that didn't have iPod hookup, an iPod touch (4th gen), many cool docks, and now a 32g iPad 2 3G. Also, when my Blackberry goes off contract this summer, I'm going to upgrade to a 32g iPhone 5 (as soon as it comes out). I'm sure after all the money I've spent on Apple products, my husband is now wishing he never introduced me to the iPod!

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

It's totally cool that she's not into technology. Everyone has their own preferences. I'm sure you know what she really does like, so just get her those. Shoes? Bags? clothes? jewelry? etc.
    (not a woman, hence my stereotypical examples)

Don't be disappointed that she's not into tech, it's totally fine and normal. Imagine if she was disappointed that you weren't into something she liked.

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Looks like it's time to file for divorce...

Just kidding, but seriously, leave her to enjoy her own interests

17. walie macrumors 6502a

pretty sure your wife is involved in or has interest in things that you don't give a crap about either

18. MissMegatron macrumors newbie

MissMegatron

19. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I intentionally broke wifeys old SonyEricsson like 2 years ago, lent her a spare 3GS and after having to put up with the nuisance of getting used to a the new way of messaging and surfing she wouldn't have it any other way. She says she kind of enjoys having the latest revision of everything and it still puts a smile to my face when she grabs her iPad to do some bed time reading.

20. hefeng7979 macrumors newbie

people got own interests in things, get her what she wants and likes :)

21. ColinM macrumors member

"Everytime I see you use your iPod Nano I'll put $5 towards a Gucci Bag"

Can't go wrong with Gucci.

22. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As long as she knows how to work the technology in the kitchen I don't see the problem.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did you say that out loud? :)

24. ReCreateEnt macrumors newbie

ReCreateEnt

@erayser That was a good one from your wife :). It cracked me up :).

25. dizzy130 macrumors member

I don't see any problems with letting her spend money on what she wants to sound money on if she allows you to sound money on what you want to spend it on.

I'm a girl but most of my friends are guys. I spend about as much money on my :apple: stuff as my guy friends spend on their electronic toys of choice, but most of them have girlfriends who don't understand the addiction. The happier relationships are the ones where the people aren't mocking their significant other's unshared interests.

Maybe she'd prefer to spend her money on shoes or clothes, and you spend yours on :apple: stuff and sports tickets. Does it really matter, as long as both of you also want to spend money on a vacation together (for example)?