Advice: Get an iPod Touch or Wait?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ardesigns, May 11, 2010.

1. ardesigns macrumors member

Mar 20, 2008
    Hi guys. I need some advice. I'm looking to buy a new device sometime in June or July.

My question is this: When do you think the next iPod Touch will come out? What new features will it probably have? How much will it cost?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Oct 9, 2008
    This is all pure speculation, but historically Apple has released new iPod Touch models in September. The original launched in September '07, 2nd gen in September '08 and the Late 2009/3rd gen models in September '09.

I expect it to ship with OS 4.0, but pricing of the hardware is up in the air depending on what features it actually will ship with.
  3. Mikey9999 macrumors newbie

May 12, 2010
    Dont Do It !!!!

I just bought myself the 3rd gen Touch. It is not what its cracked up to be - for a couple of reasons:

1. I wanted to use it as an address book / contact manager for my customers. You can only sort it by first name or last name. Not by company, city, state or zip code. i'm sure you can dload some other program, but i dont have the time to spend a week loading different programs and seeing what they can and cannot do. very dissapointed.

2. (and this was my fault...) i thought wireless and wi-fi was the same thing. It isnt. You can only get to the internet and use many apps if you are around a wi-fi hot spot. My customers are in the country, or the suburbs. There arent too many hot spots where i would use the touch. And no one has just a data plan that you can buy for the Touch.

3. There is no camera on this either... you can view them, watch videos, but you cant take a picture or video.....W.T.F. (again - my fault for not researching).

All i can say is do what i should have done. REALLY research the product, and see if this is REALLY what you want. (mp3 player - fine; games - great;
    live in the city? - no problem. All other situations..................not so much!!

Hope this helps.
  4. tooz macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2009
    You need an iPhone;)
  5. DCR-Jerry macrumors newbie

May 16, 2010
    There will probably be a new model in Sept so you might want to wait if you can. That being said, there is nothing wrong with the current model and it can be jail broken for what it's worth. Check on Amazon for the best prices. I saved $30 on my 32GB with no tax.
  6. airrwaves44 macrumors newbie

May 24, 2010
    but doesn't the buyers guide suggest a new ipod touch sooner then september. Im hoping the new ipod touch will be out by august.
  7. thefaceless macrumors member

Oct 20, 2009
    England, UK
    Release? Usually September. No reason to believe this year will be any different.
    New features? God knows. You'll have a pretty good idea what to expect on June 7th after the WWDC keynote.
    Price? Likely the same as the current model.

Personally I'd suggest you wait until the new iPhone is unveiled at WWDC, that'll give us a good idea what to expect out of a new Touch. If there's any new features there that you really want, then you'd be advised to wait until September. Otherwise, just grab a 32/64GB model. I ordered a refurb 32GB one last night because all the iPhone 4 leaks really don't seem that interesting, and I'd rather have the Touch for the next 4 months. The 32/64s will run the upcoming iOS 4 features just fine too.
  8. gan6660 macrumors 65816

Aug 18, 2008
    Release: September 2010

Price: More than likely: $199/$299/$399 16gb/32gb/64gb

Features: iPhone OS 4.0, camera, new design. Maybe: HD screen, longer battery, better speaker.
  9. theman24 macrumors member

May 15, 2010
    Probably September

It is probably gonna be September as because all the other touches were also in September. And it is probably gonna ship with OS 4.0
  10. liamkp macrumors 68020

May 29, 2010
    That would be nice. You should probably wait until 4th gen, just to see whether its worth it or not (pretty sure it will).