Advice/Help::: iPhone 3GS (3.1.2 Jailbroken) - safe to jailbreak to 4.0.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sashie, Aug 23, 2010.

1. sashie macrumors member

sashie

My iPhone 3GS is currently jailbroken to 3.1.2, with SHSH blobs backed up on Cydia.
    I now finally have a chance to jailbreak it to a more updated firmware if I wanted to.

So I just wanted to know - is it safe for me to jailbreak my phone to 4.0.1 now or would I be better off waiting for a jailbreak for 4.0.2 as i heard that I would be exposed to a serious security hole if I'm jailbroken on 4.0.1

And if it is safe to jailbreak to 4.0.1, what methods would be the best? Jailbreak me? (I have performed it once on my mom's phone and it seems to work out fine) Regardless I've always been using pwnage tool.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance guys! <3

2. Worf macrumors regular

You already are exposed to the PDF hole. Apple never knew about the issue until the jailbreak so unless you upgrade to 4.01, jailbreak, and install the pdf patch via Cydia, your still at risk. Or if you straight up update to 4.02, you'll be fine but you won't be able to jailbreak.

3. sashie thread starter macrumors member

sashie

so it is highly unlikely that in the coming future / near future, there will not be programs developed to enable users to jailbreak with 4.0.2, am I correct?

I just want to make sure as I don't want to re-jailbreak my phone again after Im done with 4.0.1 ... its too much hassle :p

so if there wont be anything for 4.0.2 i'll just go for 4.0.1...

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

So cydia shows that it has your blobs for 4.0.1? Safe to jailbreak now? What's not safe about it. There will not be a JB released for 4.0.2 and as has been said the 'serious security hole' is on your phone right now. The PDf patch in cydia closes that hole though.

Are you currently pwned or spirit JB?

5. sashie thread starter macrumors member

sashie

I am currently pwned. and yes cydia shows that i have blobs for 4.0.1. :)

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Personally, I would stay on the JB train and pwn to 4.0. Gives you a few extra options for future JB's.

EDIT: For Link

7. sashie thread starter macrumors member

sashie

okay. thanks for the guidance. so it's better off using pwnage tool instead of jailbreak me, yes? i'll give pwnage tool a try after i finish backing up my phone... (it has been taking forever)

8. sashie thread starter macrumors member

sashie

oh and one more thing,
    in order to use pwnage tool to jailbreak without fail,
    i will have to upgrade my firmware to official 4.0 first yes?
    and i have to direct my host files to trick itunes to communicate with cydia right?
    coz i remembered pressing option + restore last time didnt work for my mom's phone so i had to use jailbreak me instead. :S

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Well I see now your in Hong Kong so I take it you have no need for an unlock, just the JB? Still I, again personally, would much rather be on a boot exploit then userland JB.

No, no need to be on 4.0 you can restore from 3.1.2 to 4.0 just burn your custom ipsw, edit hosts or run tiny umbrella and option restore away in recovery.

10. sashie thread starter macrumors member

sashie

yes my iphone is factory unlocked so i only need to deal with jb.
    thank you for the clarification.
    I will let you know if I have succeeded.
    but right now my phone is still in the 'backing up' process
    i think its stuck but i only have around 15% of the bar to go
    so ... i don't know, I am going to give it another hour or so and see how it goes.
    Thanks regardless.

11. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yeah, them last few mm are the longest wait. I take it you haven't done a backup in a while? lol Gotta love it.

12. sashie thread starter macrumors member

sashie

haha my lame PC computer went crazy a few months back so i gave up backing up my phone (was planning to delay back up until i get a new iMac after it refreshes - now)

so... i haven't done a back up in.. let's say.. 3 months.
    BWAHAHA. screwed.