Advice/Help, Jailbroken iPhone won't restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmcclain145, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

I have a 32gb 3GS and i got a error message this morning sating my iPhone needed to be restored. I did a soft reset and it came back on with my theme still active but on the emergency calls only screen. I tried DFU and standard restore with no success. I made an appointment with apple tomorrow at my local store, my question is, will they be able to detect that I had or have a jailbroken iPhone?

My concern is because I haven't been able to fully restore so I'm not sure if the jailbroken software if still on the device.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. bdsmyth macrumors regular

Switch the phone off and disconnect it from your computer. Press the home button and keeping it pressed connect it back to your computer. Wait for the itunes connection icon to appear on the phone and try restoring from there. If that works then great, as that will be the first thing the apple guys will try. If it doesn't and the soft reset doesn't work then you should be ok.

3. jmcclain145 thread starter macrumors regular

jmcclain145

yeah I tried that and it didn't work. I also should have mentioned that the error I get is 23 which seems to be an ellusive error.

I was playing a game earlier on my iPhone and it got real hot, then all of the sudden my internet connection was lost followed very shortly by service signal. Thought it was my SIM card until I got a message that said "iPhone can't make or recieve calls, please restore with iTunes.

Then went my process of reasearch and trying to restore (about 7 times on 2 different PC's)

I am just wanting opinions and maybe some experience of people who have taken a previously jailbroken iPhone to the Apple store and had success getting it repaired or replaced if needed.

As I said in my first post I don't believe a full restore has been done, although I think most traces if not all of the jailbroken firmware are gone. All my iPhone displays now is the DFU connect to iTunes screen, whether I am trying to restore in DFU mode, power on and back off or soft reset.

4. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

if you see something on the iphone at all, it is not in dfu mode.

when the phone is in dfu mode, nothing is displayed on the screen

5. RAGING DEMON macrumors member

RAGING DEMON

this may work...!

Do Not Jailbreak Your Iphone!

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Chances are the phone is fine.
    Your patience are probably running thin as mine were when my phone wouldn't restore.
    I got my phone to restore by doing this
    plug the sync cord into the phone but not the computer
    start up iTunes make sure it is fully started
    hold down the home button
    now with the home button pressed plug the phone into the computer
    keep the home button pressed until iTunes or the os recognizes the phone
    allow iTunes to take over
    restore as a new phone, not from a back up

7. SeventhNexus macrumors newbie

When trying this it says Itunes could not connect because it is locked with a passcode. I know the passcode, however there is no option to enter this passcode on the iphone - only an emergency phone number.

The other circumstances surrounding my error have to do with a possible conflict screen, which references disabling rock extensions, restarting (which does nothing).

With other combinations of starting up itunes, connecting the iphone I can get to the restore screen, however this gives error 23.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Error 23 is hardware failure, likely the phone will need to be released.

9. Supadupacroz macrumors newbie