Advice/Help Req! Leica M6 with Summilux 35

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by amoda, Dec 8, 2011.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I have the opportunity to purchase a M6 with 35 1.4 lens for $2,730.

As this would be my first Leica, and first film camera, I am looking for advice on the following issues:

A) What can I check to make sure it's functioning correctly? I can't really just take a picture and develop it, so what can else can I do?
    B) If something is broken, are they expensive to repair?
    C) Am I mistaken, or is $2,730 really low for this kit? Are there several versions, some that are higher cost and others that are lower cost? I'm asking since on eBay it seems that the lens alone sells for $2-4K.
    D) Is there any way to tell if a lens is pre or post ASPH just by looking at it?

Thank you!

2. carlgo macrumors 68000

Now it is a message, I guess...

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've recently started shooting an M3. It's an amazing camera.

As for the pre/post ASPH all Leica cameras and lenses have a unique serial number on them. There are numerous lists on the web. Using this one you could get a year of manufacture for the lens.

4. someoldguy macrumors 65816

You might also want to check for pinholes in the shutter . To do so , remove the lens and bottom plate , lift the back plate up and shine a flashlight through the lens mount opening . You should see no specks of light when looking in the back of the camera . Do this with the shutter both cocked and released . Leica cloth shutters can be recovered , I had my M4P done a couple of year's back , but for what you're paying for the kit you shouldn't have any additional expenses.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

6. Stephen Lee macrumors newbie

Condition does matter a lot in terms of the price.