Advice Help? rMBP, MBA, or Mac Mini + iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lace.Noella, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Lace.Noella, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

Lace.Noella macrumors newbie

Morning!

I wanted to ask the advice of you all, as I'm not too sure about which of these options would help me out the most.

I work as a private tutor, so I'm constantly on my computer editing papers, marking documents, etc. I also do not have a TV right now, so I watch a lot of shows and movies on my laptop. Right now, I have a late 2010 Macbook Air. I am looking for a combination or single product that will best suit my work as well as leisure activities. I was thinking about one of the following:

1. Purchase a rMBP. I would probably look at the new 13" one simply because of weight and portability. If I went this route, this would be my only computer.

2. Purchase a MBA. Again, I would probably go with the 13" because I think 11" would be too small to stare at all day. This only question on this route is, if this is the best choice, would it be better to wait until the summer or whenever the Air line is next updated? This would also be my only computer.

3. Purchase a Mac Mini and hook it up to a Smart TV (which I am hoping to purchase after the holidays when they go on sale). And then also purchase an iPad to use when I'm out.

My question is, in your opinion, which would be the best option for me? I don't know a whole lot about computers and their speed, power, etc. and it took a lot of research just to come up with these options. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I'd rule out the mini as your only computer - it's fine for watching videos on a big TV, with a mere 1920x1080 on a massive screen, it isn't very nice to use for anything else, and the screen will be in the wrong position.

The 13" Air seems slightly pointless now, unless you're on a budget.

I think the best option would be a 13" rMBP, for power and portability, with an Apple TV hooked up to your TV.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Doesn't sound like you need the 13in rMBP. It's hellaciously overpriced and not worth the hardware difference in my opinion (unless you could justify the necessity of a retina display by, for example, being a photographer).

The 2012 MBA is awesome and it probably won't be upgraded until summer-ish. So if you need a new computer now, definitely go for a 13in MBA.

You could use the money you saved from going MBA over MBP to get an iPad Mini or put toward a TV. I'd also recommend an Apple TV for your viewing pleasures, only $90-$100 and it can play all sorts of media (and if it doesn't, you can mirror you laptop and watch that on TV). Alternatively, hooking up your MBA or iPad Mini to the TV via HMDI is also an option (and a cheaper one, at that).

EDIT - I wouldn't bother with a Mac Mini.

4. Lace.Noella thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Yeah, the rMBP does seem very expensive, but I put it as an option because I've talked to a couple of other people who work with text and documents all day and, according to them, the retina makes a big difference. I haven't seen it in person myself though, so I'm only going on their word.