Advice & Help: to iPhone4 or not to iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ryanwms, Jun 17, 2010.

1. ryanwms macrumors newbie

Hi All-
    I'm a proud Mac Geek. I think I have one of just about every product made by Apple...iPods, iMacs, MacMinis, AppleTV, MacBooks, etc. I've been using the iPhone since launch on June 29, 2007.
    I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS, and am looking to upgrade to iPhone 4....maybe.
    My dilemma is this: I love Apple and all they do, but with a cell phone, I want to also make Phone calls. This is something AT&T isn't very good at. I spoke with someone at Apple corporate yesterday and they told me that iPhone 4 won't necessarily help to improve my connection to the cellular network. So, do I get iPhone 4 because it's Apple and an incredible device? Or do I go with a different, lesser phone on Verizon, because it will make phone calls?

2. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

The best advice anyone can give you regarding cellular phone usage is to make sure that you select your carrier based on who provides the best service in the area that you live/work/frequent. Once that decision is made, then you select your device based on what that carrier has available.

I have had no issues at all with AT&T and have been a customer for a number of years, including when it was Cell One, CellularOne, and then Cingular here in Illinois. My cellphone service has been exemplary. I've had a 1st Generation iPhone (which my son is still using) and now use a 3G. We just got 3G turned on where I live about a year ago and I truly like it.

Moral of the story is, if AT&T cannot provide you with adequate service where you live, then at this time the iPhone may not be the choice for you. However, if you really want to use it that bad, then you will have to deal with the reduction in service. An alternative could be the MicroCell. However, making a statement that overall AT&T is not good at providing service to make a phone call isn't true. Many people experience excellent phone call quality.