Advice/ Help with Selling/ Trading 13" Macbook Pro 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DUDEMANGUY5, Jul 30, 2010.

1. DUDEMANGUY5 macrumors regular

Hello forum users, I am still kind of new to the forums and was just wondering if i could get some advice on what to do with my 4 month old, like new, 13" 2010 Macbook Pro Base model. (Yes I have searched the forums and I haven't found a a lot of help)

First of all, Don't get me wrong I really enjoy my Macbook Pro, Great computer, Spectacular battery life, awesome notebook.

BUT,
    I would rather have a 21 inch iMac due to the fact now i am use to Mac OS now and I could use the extra storage and screen space for editing photos and videos which I thought I would do lightly on the Macbook Pro. That turned out to be wrong and now I love iMovie and iPhoto. The 13" screen is not doing it for me. I hardly use it as a notebook. it is usually kept on the desk, used with wireless mouse and keyboard. I feel like I do not utilize the whole notebook aspect as much as I could or would be, I just like sitting behind a desk and using my iPod Touch on the go. I know i would use the iMac more and would like it better now that I know the Mac OS.

So my questions are:
    What should I do to either sell or trade this for an iMac?
    (and selling it so i can get the greatest amount of money back since its like new) :confused:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you considered getting an external 23/24" monitor and hooking that up to the MacBook Pro? That would give you the space that you desire and you'd still have the portability if you ever needed it.

3. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

But since he hardly uses it as a notebook, he is better served with an iMac because it is much, much faster and more expandable. A MacBook + large display is perfect for those of us who use it on the go, but for everyone else, the iMac is wiser.

Selling it on CL might be the easiest and fastest, but eBay will probably give you the highest return. If you have the receipt, then you can and should demand a bit more.

You can try to do a "for trade" ad on CL, but I've found trading to be a major hassle myself.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The Macrumors Marketplace is your first stop but you don't have enough posts yet so you can look at ebay and/or craigs list.

However, I've had good luck sending e-mail to friends and relatives who might like a Mac. I prefer face to face transactions and cash when selling expensive items and people close to your are great potential customers (they will also track you down if you sell them a lemon) so be honest about any quirks or "issues".

I done a few e-bay deals but mainly for computers valued under $800 and even then I was worried about fraudulent reversals. So far no issues. Once you get your rep around here the marketplace is good but you will sell for less here. Uninformed consumers pay more because they usually don't know about refurbs and other discounts like Microcenter selling certain MB & MBP models new for $200 off.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

5. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I actually considered that option before. I dont know if that would be for me though,
    Will it slow the graphics card down or the computer down any since it would be powering 2 displays?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, it won't slow down the computer at all. I routinely use my MacBook Pro with a 24" display and it powers it fine.

7. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

Say Whaaa?

Marketplace? I didn't Know there was a Marketplace

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

9. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I understand, I am still a noob

10. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

11. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

I'm going to chaff against the grain and second the vote for an external display, rather than getting an iMac.

Reason? You get the best of both worlds: A desktop setup with a large enough monitor, but retain the portability of the MacBook in the one-off chance you may need/want it.

My opinion.

12. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

I think that I might actually try an external monitor soon, I don't have a flat screen but for now i might go to bestbuy and get the cable to try it

13. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

What is the Max resolution Output on the MBP?

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) Sell it on eBay for max $ or at Gazelle.com for easy money

Or

2) Trade it in a PowerMax.com

Or

3) Keep it and buy an ext. monitor, mouse, keybd.

15. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

OP just know you won't be able to sell your MBP for top dollar with it having been used for four months. So you'll have to take a bit of a hit, and see if that's worth having the iMac or if not perhaps an external screen would work best.

17. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand, i was not planning on selling it for full price or anything i would take about $100-$200 off what i paid for it :/

18. Meever macrumors 6502a

With the refresh and the refrub shop it would be something like 700-800 dollars unless you throw some extra goodies in there.

ebay is the easiest way. I guarantee you will sell it and get that kind of money. However they ask for a retarded amount of money. something like 10% of the final value. Then paypal takes another 3%-5%.

Creig's list won't have fees and stuff but it will be a big hassle.

Notebook forums is generally the way to go assuming you can use them.

19. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

Refresh? this is the newest model

and yes i have goodies lol

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...since you have the current base 2010 model, apple refurb sells that "like new" with a full warranty for $1019.00 so you already took a $180 hit... go with an external monitor and you retain the ability to take it with you if you ever decide to "need that" feature...

Good luck.

21. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Craigslist is less of a hassle than eBay provided you're clear about what you intend to get for the product AND are reasonable about it. I've only had one moron show up after completely ignoring the crystal clear instructions I gave him. Every other transaction has gone completely smooth, both selling and buying. It's how I sold my 15" to get the money to buy my 17".

That said, if you're expecting to cut $100/$200 off the price of the product plus tax, you're not going to get many takers. If you expect to move the product, you should consider the tax a loss PLUS some. So for example, if you paid $1799 plus tax, you can maybe...MAYBE move it for $1700, assuming the condition is pristine. Otherwise, nobody's going to take it, because they could just go to the Apple Store directly and get it for a little more with more certainty. In your case, a 13", assuming it's pristine...expect to sell it for no more than maybe $1100. People who don't want to wait on the refurb will bite at that price. Any higher and it's not happening.

I still say though that you should just get a monitor and work it out.