Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
To the above 3 posters the Mac Mini is basically me buying a Mac until I can my hands on a MBP 17" 2012 with Ivy Bridge and Thunderbolt display later on in the year as I'm prepared to put down 529 pounds on a Mini now rather than buying a 2k+ 17" Macbook Pro only to find out Ivy Bridge MBPs come out soon.

I'm gonna hook up my Mini to my Samsung 24" monitor tomorrow when I get my Mini.

I can always VNC from my iPad to my Mac anyways around the house; so I think having a iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Mac Mini, MBP and Thunderbolt Display is the best setup; you essentially have it all then.

Cheers

Unkei

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I have an older core 2 duo white imac that is on its last leg and am thinking about getting a new iMac. I currently have a dell laptop for work and iPad 2. I like to keep business separate from personal, so my iMac and iPad are good means for that. My question is, should I get another iMac or should I get a mac mini? Or should I even get a macbook air? I have one 20 inch dell monitor that I extend out from the iMac or my work laptop. The only thing I use my iMac for is to hold my music, photos, and plug USB devices in. I do not need much computing power.

What would you do? Thanks in advance

I had been a Windows PC guy for 30 years with the exception of every new iPad as it came out. I now have a 21.5 inch iMac and love it! Believe it or not, space really isn't an issue! Have a Rolltop Oak Desk and though it would fit there don't use it. I have a wooden mobile tray/table (think hospital table) and I placed the iMac on foot supported end (for weight safety) and made a small keyboard/trackpad holder in my shop. About 10 minutes work with BASIC TOOLS. Now they sit together on it like the commercial version that costs $30+ bucks. My cost, nothing....scrap wood/ 10 minutes/ and an idea!
Also spent $27 bucks on an infrared/transmitter set of headphones to keep my wife happy if I was watching YouTube or another video!
Unkei

Last edited:

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
P went through the same debate 2 months ago. Most everything has been said, but this, which was the deciding factor for me:

Longevity, or how far can it go? Seems the mini won't go past Lion. The 2009/10/11 iMacs can still go.

FWIW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.