Advice: iMac or Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Evan1229, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Evan1229 macrumors newbie

I need a new computer as the old iMac (early 2008 2.8 GHz, 4 gig memory, NVIDIS GeoForce 8800 GS 512 MB) is getting long in the tooth

I primarily browse web and do emails and some light website creation. I also coach high school soccer and football and film games and burn dvds of them, something my iMac has gotten slow at doing

I was thinking mid level 2.6 mini and bump up ram to 16 gigs and order with SSD, or get iMac 21.5 2.7 GHZ with 16 gigs ram and SSD

I want to keep this awhile and want it to be as future proof as possible

What do you guys think?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I feel as though the newest mini is a step backward. I would feel better buying the 2012 over the 2014. With that said, I feel like the iMac is a better buy overall and will last you a very long time.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If you can get a 2012 Mac mini, buy that. Otherwise, get the iMac.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

For your moderate needs I think a MM with a SSD or Fusion drive would satisfy you for years.

5. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

The MacMini lets you add one or two displays of your choice.
    If the display of the iMac dies and you don't have AppleCare, you have to buy a new Mac.

If that is OK for you, then the iMac is probably OK.
    16G and an SSD should last a while. Hopefully the LCD will also last a while...

6. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I also think the Mac Mini is sufficient. Also, either way, make sure to get an external DVD burner if you don't already have one.

7. troy14 macrumors 6502a

How handy are you? I fix iPhones etc on the side as a hobby, and, just recently upgraded my Mac Mini to the fusion drive (installed my own 250GB samsung 840 evo SSD).

I had a 21.5" 2012 fusion imac, returned it. Screen was just small enough to be annoying (I am used to a great 24" high end dell). Bought a 27" iMac '13 w/ fusion for my parents/my use... and it really is just a little too big.

I'd really recommend buying a refurb '12 mini and a decent monitor, installing an SSD yourself (it really is very very easy) to save the money and then you can upgrade the mini when you need.

8. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

You really aren't a power user of your current iMac. With a couple of simple upgrades, I'm sure you can get your current iMac to last you a few more years easy.

My parents were complaining of their old iMac (Mid 2007). It was a bit slow, but I threw in a cheap 256GB SSD, upgraded the RAM to 8GB, and it was a completely new machine. Boot times, opening programs, etc. all felt like a new computer.

256GB SSD's (or even just using a 128GB), can be had for $150 or cheaper. RAM probably around $80 bucks.

Otherwise, I would recommend getting another iMac. I would steer clear of the base model iMac (it's a 1.4 GHz model with soldered RAM). I would look into getting the next step up which would be the 2.7 GHz with "upgradable" RAM. With the Mac Mini, you would have to get a displays, and honestly, there really aren't any displays out there that I have seen that can beat the iMac.

9. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

IMO Apple may discontinue producing these in the very near future. I plan on buying another one next month.

10. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If you want future proof, you need a retina screen. That's definitely the future. Hard to get that with an external, but becoming more possible. But many of the MBPs have them, and are therefore good bargains by comparison.

If you were just doing some server task, or using the Mini for home theater or something where the screen didn't matter, I'd say sure, Mini. But if you are actually looking at a monitor for long stretches of your computing time you want retina.