Advice: install OS X on work PC and Parallels with Win7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arnoz, Dec 31, 2010.

1. arnoz macrumors regular

Hi,

Until now I've had a PC with Windows 7 given by my office with VirtualBox and OS X installed.
    As of 3rd Jan I'll be working in another department where I'll be 1) free to do what I want with my hardware as long as it's not pirated software and 2) more than happy to work in OS X which I've been working on for all my life.

So now I'm hesitating between:
    - keeping my quite new and good HP PC, format it and install OS X on it. Then install Parallels with my Win7 license to use some of the rare softs I will still need to use in Win only (with my old job most of the apps were Win only).
    - buying a Mac Mini and install Parallels on it with Win7. My boss won't probably accept because he just bought me this HP PC (for old job :( )

Choice n° 1 would seem better but what about these famous "hackintosh"? Is it reliable for a work environment? I need Office, terminal and most of the work I will do now will be via web GUIs. Then I could fire up Parallels when I would need to access specific Win only apps.
    But I'm worried about the installation of OS X on a PC. What about stability? Updates? Etc.

ANy advices please?
    THanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on the specs. Some PCs are more easily hackable than others. I would not recommend a Hackintosh for work though. In case something fails, you have to fix it. Hacks are nice but the lack of official support makes them a bit unreliable for work purposes. For work, you need a computer that works 24/7 and there is official support 24/7.

3. arnoz thread starter macrumors regular

That's why I'm hesitating yep...
    It's a HP DC5800. I Googled but found no mention of it about hackintosh.

4. arnoz thread starter macrumors regular

Another question if I buy the new Mini: I have 2 display at the office, 22 and 17. I have a DVI to two VGA adapters.
    So I'll be able to use the two monitors thanks to the Apple HDMI to DVI adapter right?
    Thanks.