Advice ... iPhone burning...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by artofdesign, Mar 11, 2010.

1. artofdesign macrumors member

This may be well documented, I don't frequent iPhone forums, so excuse me if its a repeat.
    Just want to offer some advice....

Currently have a 3GS, I've had 3 iPhones and never thought about this once....

CLEAN THE DOCK CONNECTOR AREA. AND THE PLUG/CONNECTOR YOU USE ALSO.

I'm not certain, but I assume the lint or whatever was in the dock area caused my iPhone to smoke and burn when I was syncing it today.

Something was shorting or whatever and things got ugly. Thankfully most the damage was to the provided apple sync cord. I was able to clean the charred area on the phone with medical alcohol wipes and it seems to have reversed the damage. I am syncing right now for the first time since. At first the phone thought it was plugged into a unauthorized accessory, but after cleaning it seemed to work properly.

Anyways, that was my experience today. Hope it works out. sync seems to be working. Hope you learned to clean those areas if you don't already.

Here is a related site I found when it happened and I frantically was looking for help...
    http://www.tipb.com/2009/03/04/2-iphone-dock-meltdowns-firestorm/

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be extra carefull when cleaning the bottom dock connector with anything liquid cause you might trip the moisture sensor down there and then your Apple warranty is gone.

3. artofdesign thread starter macrumors member

Good point, I was aware of this and didn't trip the sensor.