Advice: iPod Touch vs PSP-3000

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jdylan, Jul 11, 2009.

1. jdylan macrumors regular

jdylan

Hi, just looking for advice. My GF want's some sort of hand-held gaming device and we are stuck between the iPod Touch and the PSP-3000. Can any of you give pros & cons of each? I like the iPod because it is easier to use and the touchscreen, plus all the extra stuff it has like checking email, texting, etc. She seems to think the PSP has more and better games. I have a life, so I am not into "games" in the least bit, so this is all new to me. I am concerned about the price, the iPod is almost double cost.

Whatcha tink?

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

She's almost right. The PSP has fewer games, but most of them are better. But then again, you have to carry around a case to hold all those UMDs.

Seeing as how this is an Apple user's forum, I'm going to recommend the iPod touch. But I would wait until September to buy one (better graphics chip, faster processor, maybe a camera).

3. v8ko macrumors newbie

The PSP is the better gaming system hands down. Actually the DSi is probably better yet. Now just to clarify were talking handheld game systems not overall function.

The PSP has some versatility like downloading movies (with the right software) onto memory sticks and also using it as a sort of MP3 player. You can also store digital pics via memory stick. With the 3000 you can also get an a/v cable or component cable and view everything from your TV.

BTW I thinks its funny that you say you "I have a life" and dont game, thats just sad, not saying your sad but life offers many things.

I game, Im also rasing a kid (17 yr old), sanction race (track race) one of my cars in a three state area, Im in a Band that plays at least one show every weekend not to include practice time(or studio time), like to spend time working on my yard, do photography on the side, walk my dog down to the park everyday and play frisbee and even grab an occasional golf game here and there.

Not to mention I love to take vacations and I still have to go to work lol.

If you dont like games thats one thing but there is alot of great games out there you might be missing.

Whichever one you decide on get a screen protector right off the bat. Good Luck to you!!!

4. v8ko macrumors newbie

HA I thought its important to say that I own a PSP and an ipodtouch. Whats with me EVERYWHERE I go? The ipodtouch of course!

5. MartinS3X macrumors member

the new psp go is supposed to come out this year, so u might want to check that one out too.
    no UMDs though its going to be all flash based games
    check it out here

6. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

what type of gamer is your GF?

because note that games on iPod and PSP are totally not the same type

for a true gaming experience, it's PSP hands down

but if she's just gonna play when felt bored in some trip - type

then iPod Touch

the only thing iPod touch offers more than PSP is Touch Screen, and not only games, but also organizers, internet and ofcourse the APP Store

all in all

i will recommend an iPod, and buy her ps3 as well :p

7. jdylan thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

No offense

Well, I just meant I don't have any time, I work 12 hour shifts, 1 hour commute, then the gym, whatever downtime I have is studying, checking email, etc, then sleeping. I didn't mean gamers don't "have lives". I mean I am too busy with "getting by" in life, and I prefer reading or the occasional movie to games.

Good advice about waiting until September to buy a Touch, I didn't know they were approaching end-of-life. I am leaning towards the Touch, but then someone brought up the Nintendo thingie too!

Can you do everything on a Nintendo DS that you can do on a Touch? Email, chat, etc? Sorry, I know I should be doing my own research, but I'd rather hear direct from current users. Plus, being in the military here, they block ALL websites with anything to do with games/gaming. It's a joke. So thanks!

8. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

How come you're not getting the PSP Go? I don't think it uses UMD's. Downloadable only! :D

9. v8ko macrumors newbie

UGH I remember those days. Hell the way things are going I might be doing them again lol.

The first couple years that I opened my business it was 100 hr weeks even then I still played probably helps that I own a gamestore lol anyways yea man no harm and I didnt want to sound like I was going off lol no need to argue on the web imo.

If you live in a city that has a reputable game store check with them on prices of USED PSPs. Just make sure they have a good warranty (3 mo. generally) and again a good rep. and you can have a little more cash to buy the games. Honestly it could work out that the price of a new system might = the price of a used one plus some games.

Best to you!

10. Jani-Appleseed macrumors member

I wouldn't call iPod touch something that could compete with psp in simply the gaming sense , for me DSi is the best of both (if you take ipod as a gaming system) DSi has excellent games and very good interface , I have a psp and I'm disappointed with it... ( i also have a DSi)

11. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

12. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

If she already knows what it's like to play games on PSP, she won't be quite satisfied with iPhone games. You can't really compare PSP with iPod Touch. They each serves a different purpose. That's why I have both.

13. Meever macrumors 6502a

PSP Go. 16gb of flash. And the size of the device is a little bit bigger than a iTouch.

It's got everything iTouch has pretty much minus touch screen. Think of it as a tiny PS2 with a iPod taped on it.

But of course since you can't play games and have a life at the same time I'd suggest neither. Save your money and go buy something you can use while living your life.

14. Jani-Appleseed macrumors member

Exactly :p , thats why I have both aswell, seriously I think apple did not think of ipod touch as a gaming system until second generation where they thought 'oh there's some cool games on the app store so lets call ipod touch a gaming device" I agree with the cool games bit but not the gaming device 'profile'...

15. jdylan thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

Do I sense a little sarcasm?

It's not for me, it's for my GF back in the states. Wow, full of sarcasm today, are we? And I already DO save my money and buy things I can use while living my life. But thanks anyway.

Just so you know, I'm a soldier overseas in charge of other soldiers (if you call that a life) and what with my primary job, then watching out for them, meetings, briefings, etc...can you blame me for not having time to sit and play video games? I need to sleep, you know.

16. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Lol. Don't worry about him. Some losers just post replies left and right without reading the Original Question. :D

Good luck and happy shopping. You might also direct your GF to read this thread and let her decide. If she plans to bring the device with her a lot, then the touch it is. Oh, scratch that. Girls have purses with them all the time so the PSP Go is fine as well. Touch is just more pocket friendly. If she plans on an in-depth gaming experience, then go for a PSP. The touch, on the other hand, is a jack-of-all trades device minus a phone. It has tons of productivity apps that gaming portables lack. The Safari browser in it is the best in any portable to date if she likes browsing the net often.

17. jdylan thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

Solution

18. jdylan thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

PSP Sucks compared to iPhone

So I bought both at the PX here on base, along with some games, and I was blown away by how much the PSP sucks, outside of actually playing games. The iPod Touch seems generations ahead, when online. To type an email address on the PSP is a 5 minute process, it's a joke. And the whole idea of carrying around a case of UMD disks seems so 1980's. And they are pretty pricey, too! Whereas the iPod touch is touch screen, games are all downloadable, etc. If I had known how much the PSP sucks, I wouldn't have even posted this question.

19. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Edit: Never mind, I didn't read your latest post. :p

Basically, my post was about how much I don't like the PSP, and I see you pretty much agree with me. :D

To be fair, a new PSP Go is releasing October 1st that does away with the discs for a download-only format. They're even planning on launching their own app store. The PSP Go will cost $250, though.

20. crowmac macrumors newbie

you can't compare the games of psp to the touch - it's ridiculous - who is carrying umds? you dump all your movies on a memory stick - and the sound quality? you want to compare that?

don't think so, mate.