Advice.. Is the macbook bust or fixable?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wata, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Wata macrumors newbie

Hey there.

So i have a macbook that is about 4 years old. The ethernet and power slots took a bit of a beating about 2 years ago when the laptop got dropped.

The ethernet no longer works and the battery no longer charges. 1 of the pins looks a little squished. Anyhow the computer has always worked. Its just been a minor hassle.

Anyhow, today i tripped up over the cable. So the computer turns off. I think there was a spark when i reconnected it. Anyhow there is no longer any power. The thing you connect it to seems a little loose, but I think it has always been so.

Is there a way to fix this or is it time to retore the computer? If it is time to retire the computer, how could I connect the internal harddrive (once removed) to a new computer.

Thanks for your help.

One of the five prongs that the magsafe connects too now is black. I dont think it was like that before.

Sent from an ipad, sorry about the spelling.

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Personally, sounds like your computer bit the bullet. Seeing a spark and then black surfaces is never healthy for a computer. Was there any smoke? You may have shorted your hard drive as well...but it's not overly likely. All you need to do is remove the hard drive from the computer (instructions on how to do so can be found in your manual, or anywhere online). When it's removed, you can either buy an external hard drive casing from amazon.com and place your drive in it, and use it as an external hard drive. Or, you can just put that hard drive in your new computer (which I wouldn't recommend since the technology is 4 years old).

I hope you can figure things out.
    P.S. Get your hard drive tested at your local computer shop to see if it shorted when the power adapter failed or not.

3. Wata thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. So the power supply can't be replaced.

There was no smoke. I think there was a weird smell though.

If the harddrive did short cuicuit... How likely can I recover data from it?

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Yeah your power supply is definitely shot. Especially if there was a weird smell. Your hard drive shorting is not very likely, but in case it did, it's not very likely that you can recover data from it. It's plausible, though. Good luck