[Advice] JB and Unlock on 4.1 iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by desiprince1212, Oct 18, 2010.

1. desiprince1212 macrumors member

I know there is NO known unlock for 4.1 for iPhone 4

I am at 4.0.1 unlocked through Jailbreakme.com and unlocked through ultrasn0w.

Now if I update to 4.1, and jailbreak there is no known unlock for 4.1, probs have to wait to 4.2. But why do people say you MUST jailbreak using QuickPWN to maintain my baseband?

Can I jailbreak using Greenp0ison now, and unlock it when the unlock is available for the baseband or is there a specific way to do so. Thank you!

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Absent an unlock, if you jailbreak with GP, you must have upgraded your Firmware to 4.1 first. When you do this, you run the risk of upgrading you BB to the currently un-unlockable version.

You can retain the unlockable bb if you upgrade to 4.1 with the aid Tiny Umbrella, and then JB with GP, after which you can go download ultrasn0w.

So it's not technically true to say that there is no unlock for 4.1, the firmware doesn't dictate unlockablity, the BB does.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Do you have SHSH blobs saved for your phone? Did you click, "make my life easier" in Cydia? If you've no idea of what I'm talking about, go to http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com and start saving your SHSHs. If you do have blobs from 4.0-4.0.2 saved, you can use Tiny Umbrella to preserve your baseband and upgrade to 4.1.
    Pwnage allows you to create a custom ipsw, which allows you to preserve your baseband.

4. desiprince1212 thread starter macrumors member

So ultrasnow is just a much easier way to soft unlock your phone when available.

By accident, I didn't click to make my life easier. Now I should back up using tiny umbrella? Is there a way to change the settings in cydia. What do you suggest is my best bet?

5. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Use TinyUmbrella to save your hashes (4.1 firmware)
    Cydia will then auto save hashes for future firmware releases
    And use TinyUmbrella to upgrade your iPhone 4 firmware to 4.1 thus saving the unlockable baseband.