Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nohma

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2007
I second using skype for long distance video and audio chatting. It's great, though I know out of my own experience, not everyone is all too keen on leaving msn and making yet another account. I'm stubborn, I'm just using my skype one lately, and anyone who wants to get in touch with me, better skype. They'll bend eventually :p

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I run Skype, GAIM, and Yahoo messengers. With dual core CPUs and 2gb of ram, I stopped worrying about running too many clients and gave up trying to unify.

Just tell your family to install Skype if they want to video chat with you. Once they try skype you will see how fast they drop the MSN crap.

Honestly, I am surprised since they are in Europe they don't use Skype already. I understand Skype is huge in Europe.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
MSN video conference is not supported in OSX, aMSN will not allow audio with video.

so.
MSN video chat is not possible under OSX.

BUT

You can install windows on your mac. or switch her family to skype

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I should probably point out that I don't think floppy drives will actually work in Mac OS X (as in there are no drivers for them unless some third party has created them).

So if you want to still use floppies, you will need to get an external USB one and use it with Windows on your Mac, in ether Boot Camp, Parralels (which costs money) or VMWare (free)

Someone give me some files on a floppy recently because their net contection was donwn. I can't tell you the fun I had searching for an old floppy drive amungst my load of old PC bits and then installing it my PC, just to read 2 files. :mad:

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
I should probably point out that I don't think floppy drives will actually work in Mac OS X (as in there are no drivers for them unless some third party has created them).

So if you want to still use floppies, you will need to get an external USB one and use it with Windows on your Mac, in ether Boot Camp, Parralels (which costs money) or VMWare (free)

Someone give me some files on a floppy recently because their net contection was donwn. I can't tell you the fun I had searching for an old floppy drive amungst my load of old PC bits and then installing it my PC, just to read 2 files. :mad:

BS!
almost any USB floppy drive will just work fine. i used FDDs from sony vaio, ibm thinkpad and also an unknown maker. they don't need any special drivers as FDD hardware support via USB is unified for most modern OSs and definitely included in OSX. besides OSX is also ablo to read and write FAT & FAT32 which will be the most common format when it is used for Windows.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
1. as others have mentioned before MacOSX's TextEdit will read and save MS Word documents just fine. But it is a basic application like Wordpad on Windows. For full blown functionality use MS Office 2004 for Mac or MS Office via Bootcamp or Parallels.

2. i can understand that switching everyone else to Skype might not be the most favourable, even though it is on of the best chat/ audio/ video/ voip/ voip -> phone applications out there. but if you need to audio/ video chat on MSN, no questions ask, you will need to use MS MSN under Windows. it will work under Bootcamp and Parallels.

3. yes, just make sure you buy the right adapter when you purchase

4. considering your needs above, i suggest the two options of Bootcamp and/ or Parallels. You also can resort to VM Fusion or Crossover. Though, former is more aimed at the professional server market and lacks the tight & friendly Windows integration of Parallels, and, ladder is a bit of a gamble with newer application. I also have no idea if the Mac's webcam is supported in Crossover.

Bootcamp: make sure you have WXP SP2 (!!). Anything below won't do it. Home or Professional are both okay though. You will need to start your new Mac into OSX, download the Bootcamp from the Apple website, start the application and just follow the instructions. Make sure you parition the amount of drive space for WXP as you need it. The rest is pretty straight forward. Tip; During the driver installation under XP be patiened and let it do its job. Some drivers need a while and it is better not to interfere with the hardware dialogues popping up.

The drawbackis that you can only run one OS at the time. You will need to reboot to start the other.

Parallels: is an application which will illusion Windows that it is running on an very ordinary PC. It runs with almost any version though WXP is probably most support, integration wise. You can download the free trial from the Parallels website. Install it, start it up, and use the wizard to make you basic Windows install. After Windows started up Parallels will install a set of drivers and tools which will integrate WXP very nicely into your MacOSX (i.e. drag&drop, copy&paste, folder sharing, network sharing, and , probably the best feature, coherence mode). Mounting a floppy drive into WXP under parallels should also be of no problem. Once the newest version MSN is installed you will also be able to use the Mac's build-in iSight webcam.

The drawback is that your Windows performance for such things as games or other heavily CPU or graphics demanding applications might not be ideal. However, for such tasks as Office apps, MSN, internet browsing, you'll barely notice any slowdown. it will just be a bit more normal PC than the performance your new Mac actually could deliver ;)

Bootcamp + Parallels: basically, you can instruct Parallels, instead of creating a virtual hard drive, to use your already installed Bootcamp partition. This will give you the choice of both worlds in case you will need full windows power occasionally.

5. Regular USB drives should work out of the box under MacOSX and WXP. You also might just take your current drive and a floppy down to your Mac shop and test it. If for some weird reason you current drive will not work, there are plenty of cheap choices..

Enjoy

HardCode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
Thanks for all of the fantastic information. I am going to go ahead and get a Mac when she needs a new PC. Everything should work out just fine. If it doesn't, then I can get her a new, very cheap PC, and I will have a new toy to play with :D Thanks again for all of the information!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.