Advice: MacBook Pro or MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninjaslim, Aug 15, 2010.

1. ninjaslim macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm a junior in college and need to replace my laptop, and I've been wavering back and forth between what to get. I have a Dell Studio 1747 right now. I bought it for research work after selling my MacBook Pro. However, as I'm no longer with that lab, I do not intend on suffering with a PC any longer. Some of my options have been to get an iMac and an iPad, the new MacBook Air or the new MacBook Pro.

What I use my computer for:
    • documents, spreadsheets, presentations
    • web browsing
    • occasional gaming
    • multimedia
    • photography (processing hundreds of photos at a time)
    • video editing

I generally require little portability, which is why I actually am considering an iMac, but it seems like it's risky. If I ever need a laptop, then I'd have to sell the iMac and buy a new laptop. I'm thinking of getting the introductory MacBook Pro 15" with possibly the upgraded screen, not sure. That or the MacBook Air, but if they cripple it's processing power, then it won't be good and the 11.6" screen should be fine.

With regards to my uses, what would you get?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Compromise: 13" MBP. :)

I'd say MBP because Air is not a primary computer for someone who works with hundreds of photos, video editing and occasional gaming.

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

13" MBP is a great notebook.

If you want super thin and lightweight then the MBA is hard to beat.

If you can try and hold out a little longer to see if the rumor of a new MBA between now and the end of September comes true.

4. WaxTheories macrumors member

If portability isn't a high priority, the Macbook Air shouldn't really be on the table (pun intended). MBP 15" for sure, you'll love it.

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Personally I'd never get an MBA (Don't care that is lightweight, price alone is enough for me to never consider one), MBP or bust. Next to the 8600M GT MBPs, MBAs have the highest rate of issues/failure (can't tell you how many MBAs I got in at work with dead/dying logic boards or hinge issues, considering they're the worst selling Mac, that says a lot). At one point we gave away more MBAs as replacements than we actually sold.

6. Nethy macrumors newbie

If you want it for multimedia, then definitely don't go Macbook Air. It doesn't have a DVD drive. I always thought of the air as kind of a superpower netbook, so if portability is a secondary consideration, then definitely no.

Anyways, if your in a dorm, you should probably go Macbook Pro due to limited space. iMac would be good if you need a bigger screen and more power, but if you are only a casual gamer and casual photoeditor, I don't see why you would need to sacrifice portability (even if its only potential) for power. MBP should take care of any casual needs like that.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There's no point in considering the Air at this point. It's terribly outdated and so far no confirmed plans for a Air update.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

To be fair, there are never "confirmed" plans for any update. I don't think Apple will kill off the MBA completely but change it a little.

9. ninjaslim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys! I'm not considering the MacBook Pro 13. I would be if it came with a Core i3 processors, but I'm not paying a premium for older technology. I was pretty much set on the MacBook Pro 15 anyway, so this just confirms it.

Should I go for the higher resolution screen? The display resolution on my older MacBook Pro, which is the same the resolution on the current MacBook Pro was more than sufficient for me.

10. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

So you would not pay a premium for "older technology", but at the same time you were considering the (hopefully) current MBA? Oookay :rolleyes:

11. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Depends

I would comfort the Hi Res but if your going to look at older macs alot I wouldn't recommend it as their screen resolution will suddenly look terrible compared to yours:p
    Seriously get it huge advantage in my opinion

12. ninjaslim thread starter macrumors member

Lol, I was considering the MacBook Air that might come out in September...it may have the newer Core processors.

What about SSD? I'm thinking I could upgrade that on my own later on, if I wanted to.

13. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Yeah definitely the 15" MBP over the MBA. Don't get an SSD from apple because you can install your own for cheaper. I don't have the hi res screen on the 15" and it still looks very good so if you have the money go hi res (especially if you are going to do video/photo editing).

14. ninjaslim thread starter macrumors member

This is good, I think I'll save some money, but I might end up caving in to the screen.

Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any sort of accessories that might be worth it? I'm thinking of getting the Mighty Mouse and Keyboard.

15. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The MacBook Air is an extremely poor value.

IMHO, the base 13" MacBook Pro almost totally negates any reason to buy a MacBook Air.

Let's see...

1. Faster CPU (2.4GHz vs. 1.86GHz)
    2. Faster graphics (320M vs. 9400M)
    3. Upgradable RAM (8GB max vs. 2GB soldered with no upgrade path)
    4. Bigger hard drive (250GB vs. 120GB)
    3. A built-in optical drive (instead of goofy optional external drive)
    4. FireWire (essential for video editing)

...for $300 less.

About the only appealing thing about the MBA is its super-slim profile. Other than that, there's really no sane reason to buy one.

16. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

Okay ;) in this case: get the MBP 15" as you said you need "little" portability.. I think the 15" MBP is the perfect mix between power and portability.. what about the 17" MBP? Too big? The screen is gorgeous

17. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

MacBook Pro for sure. It's much cheaper than an Air and you'll get much more use out of it.