Advice: May2011 or new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tuccillo, Oct 24, 2012.

1. tuccillo macrumors member

Hi Folks,

Looking for advice. My wife wants an iMac - she is fed up with Windows and has an iPhone and iPad already. Her demands on the hardware are minimal - normal sorts of e-mail, spreadsheets for her business, surfing, editing her webpage, watching DVDs, etc. No gaming. She needs a DVD player. I am trying to decide between a refurbished May2011 21.5" iMac and a new 21.5". The lack of a built in DVD drive is an issue for the new one - would need to buy an external drive. The refurbished May2011 model would be cheaper and 500 GB HD is more than enough. It looks as if the display on the new model may be better. Thoughts?

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Judging from your list, it sounds like a decision is already made: refurbished 2011. Add on to the fact the new 21" iMacs wont be out until next month vs a refurb can be picked up within a few days.

3. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

How about the new iMac and an external Blue Ray for $80? Your wife can make the switch to Blue Ray and enjoy the improved picture while still being able to play her older DVDs.

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'd probably just let my wife pick out whatever computer she wants without persuasion.

5. tuccillo thread starter macrumors member

The extent of her input was "I don't want the 27" because it is too big and I need a DVD drive"

6. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Refurb sounds perfect in that case. She hasn't got heavy requirements and the inbuilt drive makes for a prettier package overall

7. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

So whats the question?

21 w/DVD = 2011

9. tuccillo thread starter macrumors member

10. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

I'm about to do the same thing, I think you made a good choice. Where are you getting your memory sticks from?

11. dranakin macrumors 6502

Is there an external BR drive that is compatible with Macs and is there Mac software to play BR movies? I'd be interested in that, if so to both.

12. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I don't have the software, but something came out in about a year ago that allowed blue ray playing. I suspect with the right software any external blue ray player will work. Google turned up something for me pretty quickly. And I would think that the blue ray player would come bundled with the software you need.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40390/blu-ray-player

13. tuccillo thread starter macrumors member

I haven't decided yet - perhaps Crucial. I am open to suggestions if anyone has a source they have had good experiences with.

14. leadfeather89 macrumors member

^

15. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Amazon looks like they have a few left.

16. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

My friend and some people here recommended OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/memory/maxram

17. mrjose macrumors newbie

Owc

I bought 8GB from OWC for my wife's MBP (2009). It's worked great for us.

18. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Refurb is a no brainer, you get the full warrantee and you'll be able to get a new imac at the haswell update and get a decent price for your refurb especially if you buy cheap applecare on ebay too.

19. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Go refurb!!

Sounds like the 2012 would be losing out for you. Im in the same boat the old school use a DVD to watch a movie crowd. And using a external to watch a movie takes all the wind out of the sleek iMac sails. Im sure the screen will look amazing on the 2012 but the 2011 is awesome to either way she wont complain. Save the cash on a refurb, use it toward the apple care and laugh all the way to the bank. She will love it!

----------

I went with Corsair on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Chann...qid=1351137633&sr=1-1&keywords=iMac+16+gb+ram

It works flawless for me and really ram is made by a lot of the same companies they just slap their decal on it and call it theirs. But go with a name brand for sure for warranty issues. I like buying through Amazon themselves not a third party they are great with returns not so sure with other partys. They are the Wal-Mart of internet shopping. Check the reviews on Amazon they have a few brands even crucial which is great to.