Advice: MBP Fix - Water damaged motherboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgvski, Mar 30, 2013.

1. mgvski macrumors newbie

Hi I was hoping to get some advice regarding a water damaged motherboard.

I had 2 MPB from late 2008. One died in about 2010, Apple said it was from water damage because there was corrosion on the motherboard. Not sure how it got water damaged but anyway it was going to cost way more then a new MBP so I never fixed it.

I recently upgraded to a new MBP Retina so my old running mac is of no use to me. I was hoping to fix the MBP that died because it had a lot of photos etc that I wanted to get back.

I was wondering if I could just take the old HD from the broken MBP and put it in the running one? Or would it be better to take the motherboard out of the one that still works and replace the water damaged motherboard.

The one that was still running was updated to Mountain Lion etc. Should I just keep it in case I stuff them both up? I wanted to give it to the person who's MPB died.

Hope that all kinda makes sense! Cheers

2. trikky macrumors regular

If you don't need the damaged MBP, why don't you just rip out the HD and put it in an external enclosure so you can then plug it into your working computer and get the data you need?

Of course, you could also use the HD as an external drive and just keep your photos etc on that (though I would have a backup of that anyway, since photos are important.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If I were you I would get the Logic board out, clean it with isopropyl alcohol and try once more, you never know, it might work although it has been a few years since.