Advice. MBP with or without dual GPU's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thehereticking, Jul 25, 2009.

1. thehereticking macrumors newbie

Looking at buying a 15in MBP, either the 2.53Ghz model, or the 2.66 with the dual graphics.

My question is simple - is it worth getting the dual graphics model?!

I'm going to be using the machine for graphics/photos (really just basic photo manipulation, nothing major), website, and software development work. Maybe some video stuff, but again, nothing major.

I'm drawn to the dual graphics because of what I've read about the new version of OS.X allowing the use of the GPU for some processes in new software, so I'm thinking future compatibility / useability - plus I'm not someone who likes to hang around waiting for the screen to redraw!

I somehow doubt I can see much difference in real-life between a 2.53 and 2.66 CPU, so that is not really an issue for me - tho at the moment I'm more drawn to getting the 2.66, despite the 200€+ extra, but then again I'm thinking I can get a T.C. for about that price difference, and that seems like a rather nifty bit of kit to have around too!

Any real-life experiences to share? Is the extra card really worth the money, or am I just being won over by marketing, and the fact that I think it's kinda cool to have 2 GPU's?!

Matt

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

unless you game, you won't see any difference.

3. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I have the late 2008 model with dual graphics.

I would consider myself a power user. At this moment, I have 3 XCode projects open, My SQL client, 3 Safari windows open with 5+ tabs on each window, Photoshop, Textpad, Mail, SVN client, terminal, FTP client, VLC on pause on one of my spaces, 3 PDF previews. This is my usual computing habit. I have never had a reason to switch to the more powerful GPU. I have tried switching to the 9600M GT just for the sake of doing it, but I switched back because it raises the temperature of the system by 5-7 degrees celsius.

The only time that I was glad to have the second GPU was when I was opening lot of images in Photoshop. Photoshop would not let me open images beyond a certain number and told me that I need a more powerful graphics card to go beyond the currently opened number of images.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't use the 9600M in OS X. It works just fine driving my 30" and the integrated display at the same time; I use Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.; no issues.

The only limitation I have is I need more RAM, but that won't be an issue on either model you're buying.

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

its, simple, if you game, video edit or 3d design, you need, if not you dont.

6. MrGando macrumors member

I agree, as it has been said, I consider myself a power user too. Working with Xcode + Photoshop + VMware + Safari + SVN. I have the regular non 9600 version, even the extra 300 mhz won't matter, what you need is RAM, if you can put 4 gigabytes or more you will be happy.

7. thehereticking thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for the replies.

Not into games, might do a bit of video edit, but rarely.

Seems like I can save the 200€ for a Time Capsule! - which is probably a lot more useful, especially as I can upgrade to an 802.11n network at home at the same time, as I've been stuck with the 'g' network that comes with the supplied router/modem from my ISP (have to use their box as the phone plugs into it).

Matt