Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kikilech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I will be upgrading soon to a new iMac and have the dilemma to either use Migration Assistant or do a clean install.

I know that it is preferred to do a clean install as it does not ruin the new system with old the garbage I have collected over the years (and which might be the reason I'm upgrading but that's a different story).

However, I'm not really looking forward to install all the software, change all the preferences, have to fill in all my internet accounts etc etc. I think this a tedious and time consuming process.

What do you advice: to Migration Assitant or Not to Migration Assistant.....?

Thanks for any advice

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personal preference.

For me, I like the clean install approach. I use Time Machine to restore my Documents, Music, Photos folders, but then I install and configure all my apps.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have been using multiple Macs since 2003 and always used Migration Assistant with no issues. Even if there are old files and such laying around, if they are not launching/running anything they just sit there and do not slow down your system.

What you might do is use Migration Assistant then afterward run the app Etrecheck. That will create a report like this showing all third party launch items. Then you can look through that report and see if there is anything running there you no longer need and remove it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.