Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbiac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
so I found a deal at a local apple store on a uMBP ("old" version 2.66/4gb/320gb/glossy, which I love) for $2099 + tax. I currently have a 2008 15" pro, which I love to death, but I just want to get something Bigger since I spend probably 12hrs a day on my laptop (for school) and personal use. I mainly do powerpoint, pdfs, word files, web browsing, DVD watching, chatting, etc. Nothing intense at all. I'm mainly drawn to the increased resolution of the 17". I do travel, but it's very short so size is not THAT big of a problem, but on the other hand I fly maybe 5x+ a year, but since I have the 15" on my lap anyway, I figure it's not much difference vs the 17" if I have that on my lap as well.

The ONLY thing holding me back is the price, as I feel extremely guilty spending this much on a laptop, especially in this economy and with student loans, etc. I figure if I go with the 15", there isn't too much difference between what I have and I'll be very unhappy. AHHHHH. any guidance!? Battery life is also very important, and with the built-in graphics w/ the 17" I figure I can get around 6hrs doing menial tasks as described above (the demo unit at apple store indicated around 6.5hrs after I was messing around under my "normal" conditions)

thanks for the help!

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I'd say your decision is between getting the 17 or not getting anything. Certainly you shouldn't just skimp a few hundred dollars on a new 15 and then not feel like you're gaining anything. If it seems important enough/worth it, I'd say go for the 17. If what you've got now is perfectly fine, it may not yet be the time to buy.

midgetsanchez

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Go for the 17", definitely. I'm in a very similar situation to you: I'm a student that owns a 1-year old 15" PC notebook(2.5 core 2 duo/4gb ram/500gb hdd), but wanted to get a macbook. I've spent days researching and know that the 17" is the way to go. It's only about $200 more than the 15" but very, very well worth it.

The screen(arguably the most important part of a laptop, since it's what you'll be using to do ALL your work EVERY day) is probably the best on the notebook market right now. I've yet to see a screen that rival the 1920 x 1200 beauty of the 17". The latest ones appear to use newer panels that look even better.

In any case, you get a lot more with the 17"(expresscard slot for eSata/etc, extra usb port, longer battery life, etc.) Also from what I've seen at the apple store the 17" appears to run cooler than the 15 and 13's.

Look at the size comparison below from engadget. As you can see, the 17" isn't all that much larger than the 15" - it's simply just one inch wider and like 3/4ths of an inch taller(with the screen open).

Weight-wise, although it's a pound difference, the 17" does not feel bulky or heavy at all, thanks to the thin design. I'd definitely go with the 17.

2009-06-10family-5.jpg

mtbiac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
wow thanks for the quick replies! I def. agree it is 17" vs nothing. I just wanted to make sure that no new HUGE improvements were expected soon in the lineup (besides the processor bump from earlier this week). I also wanted to make sure these new unibody's don't have any major problems I haven't read about or missed yet....I guess I just wanted to air my concerns since nobody else around here cares haha

thanks

mtbiac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
...if your current machine is ~1 year old, why get another?

I'm really needing something with higher resolution; I often have a ppt and pdf/word file/browser open side by side and this 15" resolution just isnt doing it. The 17" initially wasn't appealing due to it's size and battery life, but the new unibody's seem thinner and the new battery is amazing! Tested one out in person and fell in love. I dont NEEED it; I can get by with what I have; but it'd sure be nice to get an upgrade before this current machine runs out of warranty and the value tanks......

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I'm really needing something with higher resolution; I often have a ppt and pdf/word file/browser open side by side and this 15" resolution just isnt doing it. The 17" initially wasn't appealing due to it's size and battery life, but the new unibody's seem thinner and the new battery is amazing! Tested one out in person and fell in love. I dont NEEED it; I can get by with what I have; but it'd sure be nice to get an upgrade before this current machine runs out of warranty and the value tanks......

An external monitor is always an option as well.

But you've listed good reasons for wanting the system (at least better than "ZoMG! i need it cuz it's new!") If you've got the money and it would make you happy, maybe you should just go for it. I don't NEED a computer better than an old Pentium 3 running Windows XP, but that doesn't mean a uMBP is a bad purchase!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.